Should backup take days? (JB, 3G, 3.1.3)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by slateef, Jan 28, 2011.

1. slateef macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken 3G (using jailbreakme), 3.1.3, various winterboard themes and about 90 or so apps. It's an 8 gig model and my info screen is showing that I have about 2.7 gigs free.

I have tried to do a backup using itunes twice since jailbreaking and each time it has gone on all night long. I ended up having to abort the process since I had to take my phone with me in the morning. I started the process about 4 PM last Sunday and by 6 AM on Monday it was still not done (the status bar looked like it was about 90% of the way to the end).

Should backups take this long? I suspect not, but wasn't sure. If not, what can I do? Anyone have any idea why it's taking so long? Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No it shouldn't unless you are doing the backup manually with a pencil and notepad. :D:D

I would reinstall iTunes.

3. slateef thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, maturola, I will try that.

Should I remove it first under the control panel and then download/reinstall? Or just download and install over my existing version?

Thanks.

4. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I'd try the simpler route first. Just re-install. You can always do the add/remove later if necessary.

5. slateef thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good, I'll try that.

Is the newest version of itunes "safe" with a jailbroken phone? BTW, what IS the newest version? Did it just come out recently?

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Good point I forgot about that, I don't think the Dev team have said anything about the new iTunes being safe as of yet, I would hold tight a bit unless you must solve the problem immediately, it shouldn't be much on an issue since it was a minor update but we never know.

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Are you using VLC player? If so delete the movies in it to speed up sync times. Can take hours if you have movies in that and sync.