Should Battery Life go down after a Calibration?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sclough, Nov 3, 2009.

1. sclough macrumors regular

This is a little strange. I first had one of the June 2009 15" unibodies. According to Coconut, the battery was around 6500 original capacity. After I calibrated it, it went to around 6700 and it gave really good battery life. Then, the anti-glare option came out so I sold that machine at got one of the new anti-glare ones. The original capacity showed 6500 as well, but the current was only 6300 after one battery calibration. So, after using it for a few months, I calibrated the battery again. Now it's showing 6224 as original capacity. Overall battery life is less than my original June 2009 unibody. Sure the battery life is pretty good, but I miss the extra life the first one had.

Is this just a bum battery, or am I missing something?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Is it actually giving you less battery life (as in you've timed it doing some task and compared it with a similar test you performed on your previous unit), or are you just going by the numbers? My capacity reading fluctuates by ±200 mAh on what seems like a monthly basis. I wouldn't read too much into it unless you actually notice something is wrong.

3. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

The battery definitely doesn't last as long as the first June 09 unibody I had. I don't have scientific numbers to show the difference between before and after calibration, I just noticed Coconut's numbers went down when I expected them to go up a little.