should be sleeping but instead I'm coding my website...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by pdpardue, Mar 24, 2010.

1. pdpardue macrumors regular

I have a terrible habit of playing around in html, php, and javascript without really knowing anything. Sadly, I'm a constant tinkerer and as such hand coded my website from scratch when I should have just hired someone else to do it for me.

Anyway, my latest 'addition' is a bit of JS code that resizes an image on the fly so that it takes up as much of the available screen real-estate as possible. I've also changed the overall layout too.

problem is, I don't have a million computers to test on and having a mac and using safari is a bit of an unfair advantage when it comes to beta testing a website...

anyone care to comment on my site?

old:
    http://www.paulparduephotography.co...ex.php?gal&framenumber=20100201_202934_546572

new:
    http://www.paulparduephotography.co...ramenumber=20100201_202934_546572&layout=side

2. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Sac, hey what's up!

Anyhow, I have to say that the load time on those images on my 30 monitor is pretty high. We're probably talking close to 10 seconds to display the photo. You really want to deliver the photo in 2-3 seconds. I realize that most photographers are going to have higher resolution images, but even still I had a hard time sitting and waiting for the next photo.

Also, you may want to re-think your placement of "about, contact", etc...I didn't even see them until I had clicked around a few pages. Usability is key when you are trying to get them to take action at your site.

Also, on active, your black and white navigation wraps rather oddly.

I won't jump into your code, but in theory it could be cleaner with some tighter divs and css.

Overall, I like the direction you're going with the new site, however I'd have to say it needs some tweeks pre-launch.

3. pdpardue thread starter macrumors regular

yes, I agree that there are some major tweaks still needed before taking it live. What should happen is that it load a lower res photo first then replace it with the higher res photo. That seems not to be happening all the time (FF seems to jump right into the larger photo, safari seems to load the smaller file first). What I may end up doing is just creating an intermediary resolution file and loading that instead.

placement of the links may change, as well as the design (may go for a text link rather than image link so that it matches more closely the navigation, though I do still want them to be 'separate'.

What's the issue with the black and white link? I'm not seeing it on my end