Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
should the g3 imac go?

...and will the g4 emac eventually be available to the general public and if so, will that spell the end to the 15" crt g3 imac?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Apple will keep it for awhile, maybe even give it a speed bump this summer because it is cheap and they need an entry level computer to compete. I think once the eMac is out for awhile they might be smart to make a consumer version called the "cMac" LOL ;o) as an introductory computer and replace the old iMac, we will see.....

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Until a cheap version of an entry level computer with a G4 is available, we'll still be seeing the original iMac. Besides, it keeps IBM in the game a little longer. I'd hate to see Apple upgrade all iBooks and 15" iMacs to G4 and get rid of IBM CPUs. There still is some life left in the chip - what about all that talk about a 1 GHz G3? And who knows, IBM might come out with a newer version that can prolong its life even more.

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
When the eMac was featured on the first page of the apple website, they made a big stink about how "e is for education". the first time I read that, and then read the specs and found out what a good deal it was, i could imagine them releasing it to the public a few months down the road, but the feature page would say "And now, e is for everyone" on the ad :D would that be cool or what?! (Clever thinking tommy and apple!)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: should g3 imac go?

Originally posted by jefhatfield
should the g3 imac go?
Yes. I hate it. It used to be cool but now it isn't. It's slow and ugly. I don't think Apple has the gall to let its revolutionary little child die just yet. C'MON APPLE! IT'S BEEN 5 FREAKIN' YEARS!

...and will the g4 emac eventually be available to the general public and if so, will that spell the end to the 15" crt g3 imac?
No. There used to be this cool little Mac called the G3 All-in-One (AIO). It was only marketed to eduaction. It basically was an AIO G3 DT and a pre-cursor to the iMac. But even though Apple could have made $ in the consumer market with this, they didn't. History will repeat itself.

Apple has done this before with the G3 AIO and will do it again. If Jobs wants to push his little iBoob, then that's his problem. I'm just looking at the potential that the eMac would have in the consumer market and I'm shaking my head. The low-end iMac is EXPENSIVE for the general consumer. The eMac would be a lower cost machine that would be more in the price range.

It's called product shielding. "e" is for education, but that's the only thing that makes it definitively education. Just because Apple wanted it to be. Big mistake IMO.

The CRT iMac will die when LCD's become standard across the board. Until then, they need the CRTs because LCDs are still too much of a novelty item.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I think the imac will take the eMacs form, power and size of screen but sell for quite a bit more.

I would expect to see this at SF or NY, or possibly Paris.

Ensign

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
how about a thinner all in one imac with a g3 processor and an lcd instead of a crt and keep it really cheap as in $799 USD

and eventually lower the new g4 imac to $999 sometime next year

by then, of course, the G5 will be introduced or an extremely fast apollo g4 way over 1 ghz...perhaps 1.5+ ghz (see page 20 of latest macworld on apollo processor)

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
GIVE IT A FUNERAL

Come on, Apple -- it's been 5 years and the iMacs are expensive and are so slow, they can't even run OS X...

KILL IT!

IT'S A USELESS PIECE OF JUNK.

(no offence to anyone who owns one... but hey, 5 years!)

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: GIVE IT A FUNERAL

Originally posted by j763
Come on, Apple -- it's been 5 years and the iMacs are expensive and are so slow, they can't even run OS X...

KILL IT!

IT'S A USELESS PIECE OF JUNK.

(no offence to anyone who owns one... but hey, 5 years!)

I agree, but... <the Catfish_Man looks at his beige G3 233MHz running OSX>...they can't run OSX? Since when?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.