Should Gmail and Mail be in Sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illegalprelude, Feb 9, 2009.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Ive been having this issue for a while and im finally writing about this. I thought that Gmail on my iPhone should be in Sync with Mail at home but I find it if I delete content on Mail, my iPhone dosent see and vice versa, if I do it on my phone, my Mail wont see it.

I know MobileMe is push and trust me i use that, but I thought, although Gmail wasnt push, it was indeed IMAP and it did stay in sync....

Am I wrong on this or do I need to change something in my preference?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Even though they have IMAP it isn't on by default. Make sure you have it turned on in Gmail, then make sure both Mail and the iPhone are configured to use IMAP and not POP. Mine keep in sync.

3. phaggard macrumors regular

Also since the Iphone Gmail doesn't push, you have to set a schedule for email checks. Under Settings, Fetch New Data, select how often you want your email checked. I have mine set at every 15 minutes. Setting the upper selection to Push will not affect the Gmail. Even though Gmail is set to IMAP on the Iphone, all that does is when your Iphone Gmail syncs with your main Gmail, it will sync all your folders. On the Iphone you have to tell it to check and sync the email.

4. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ahhh! there we go! Thanks you guys. all my setting from gmail were right but within mail, I didnt have the outgoing server set as imap. It was still set as pop. Now everything works fantasmic! :) Thanks a bunch

5. silbeej macrumors 6502a

The IMAP on the iPhone is wonderful, how it only downloads some messages. I wish the Mail program did that as well.