Should have bought an iPhone... Don't get a Nexus One Lol!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JCHEN60, Mar 11, 2010.

1. JCHEN60 macrumors newbie

No I don't own a Nexus One or plan on buying one, but for those that are planning to do so or already have one, here is something hilarious I'd like to share!

First, go on this website: (http://www.google.com/googlephone/tour/), then click on "Pull", then "Feel", then "Ok", and watch the little animation where the guy (girl?) puts his N1 in his pocket, closely...

Then, go on this website: (http://gizmodo.com/5486397/htc-dont-carry-your-nexus-one-in-your-pocket) and burst in laughter!!!

Goes in your pocket, only on the iPhone. :apple: cue music

2. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

3. gibbz macrumors 68030

4. DaveSW macrumors 6502

wow. that's totally unacceptable.

5. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

You guys are funny. I've never seen an iPhone with a smashed screen from someone putting it in there pocket...like...ever! [/sarcasm]

just because you think the iPhone is better than the nexus one doesn't mean its is. get a grip.

6. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Either the idiot put the phone on his/her back pocket and sat on it or wore very tight jeans. I dropped my 3GS from waste level to the ground and the screen cracked badly, cost me $200 to get it replaced. Most other phones would be able to survive that tiny of a drop but not the iPhone.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, it's happened.

But has Apple ever uttered the words "people sometimes forget that they don't go in pockets"?

Dumb response on their part.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are tight jeans, and there are tight jeans, but I still have a really hard time imagining a phone being cracked because it was in a tight front pocket... that's kind of crazy.

9. jayenh macrumors 6502

exactly, must have had thighs of steel to crack it, or more likely it was facing screen out and hit something like a desk corner.

but even if it did, lets be realistic here, no matter how hard you try bad/faulty products can end up on shelves and numpties can end up on the phones. i'm sure there are plenty of people who have had equally idiotic statements made to them by apple, or any other company for that matter, only to speak to someone else and get a fair answer. this isn't an issue for HTC unless everyone sat on their help desk says this or if N1's around the world start cracking in skinny jeans (which i would argue is a good thing, skinny jeans are poor taste), neither of which i see happening. i'm guessing the guy/gal was lazy and didn't want to deal with a return if i had to put money on it.

10. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

HOLD UP..... how can they say the phone doest not go in the pocket when they include a damn pouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... where do u put the pouch than ?? they should of had a clip if that was the case

11. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

OMG NO WAY

glass breaks if you sit on it !

/end sarcasm

This happens with the iPhone or any other device that has a glass screen

this thread is = FAIL

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The screen is glass, glass breaks. Most other phones have plastic screens. Plastic doesn't break as easily but it scratches more.

The issue isn't that glass breaks, the issue is that HTC says that their phone isn't meant to go in a pocket.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

HTC did NOT say what Gizmodo said

HTC DID NOT SAY THAT.

As usual with Gizmodo stories, this one got embellished (fancy word for made-up parts were added) along the way.

If you check the original story, CNET contacted HTC after supposedly finding their phone cracked on a desk, and after some investigation, HTC said they couldn't find any cause for that, and suggested that it might have started when someone sat on it in a pocket:

In other words, HTC said the same as any other phone maker: don't sit on it.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No, but AT&T has said that you shouldn't be surprised if their phones don't work inside...which is an equal amount of equine feces.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It'd be dumb if HTC actually said that, but they didn't.

Gizmodo added that comment for dramatic effect. It's one way that they get readers, after all.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What is really sad is people here refuse to see that fact. Gizmodo is boarding on libel for the crap that they wrote there and I would laugh my ass off if they got sued and lost for it.

Got to read some of the people defending apple and the crappy water sensors they use and how it is an end all to be all. If it is tripped you put your phone in water.

if the screen crack on an iPhone people scream it is your fault and should of been more careful with it. Same thing happens to non iPhone they bash it.

HTC never said that it should not go in a pocket but said some one could of sat on it while it was in a pocket. That would put a microfracture in the glass which starts spreading and can and will reach a critical point and to the eye seems to just crack on its own.

It is a lot like a windshield of a car when it gets chip. I have seen a chip one of the car go from just a chip for months then one day come out and see it spider all over the place.

17. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

HTC didn't really say that, Gizmodo was embellishing the story.

18. Roger Strummer macrumors newbie

"Despite Google bragging about testing the Nexus One with some aggressive poking and dropping, as seen in recent behind-the-scenes video, we got the message that this phone is too high-strung to survive in common phone environments. "People sometimes forget that they don't go in pockets," said HTC."

Actually I copy-pasted that paragraph from the cnet article, which implies that HTC told them that. It still doesn't prove they said it or cnet wants more readers, but proves Gizmodo didn't add it.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

My apologies... and thanks for the correction.

That's what I get for reading the CNET article on an iPod touch's small screen.

I rarely goof up, but when I do, they're doozies.

Okay, Gizmodo is off the hook, and I am on it instead. Haul away! :)

But yeah, I still doubt that HTC said exactly that. Probably more like, "people forget they have them in their pocket." And Apple used to want a ton to replace the entire original iPhone when its screen got broken.

Cheers!

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Very true. That or they HTC was thinking about other pockets like the back pocket. I have watch more than one cell be pulled out of a back pocket broken as the own forgot that they put it there and sat down on it.

I have crack LCD on one of my phones when I banged my leg into a counter.

21. JCHEN60 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay everyone, I just wanted to point out that it was funny that Google would show a little animation on their website where a person slides an N1 in his/her pocket while HTC, on the opposite, claims: Duh, it's a phone, it doesn't go into pockets, common sense... I am not attempting in any way to convince anyone that an iPhone can't be broken.

Jenny

22. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

cough, please read closer next time

Everyone else pretty much covered why your post is incorrect :p

I think this thread is done with

23. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher