Should / How do I install Mac OS to iMac G5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thelightstudios, Nov 8, 2010.

1. thelightstudios macrumors newbie

Hi all

Turned on the Mac this morning to find that the OS wouldn't boot. I had the finder/question mark flashing at me.

After searching through different forums for advice, I have managed to run the Apple Hardware test which shows that there is no problems with my mass storage or memory, which is a good thing as I thought it was the hard drive that was corrupt.

I have tried booting the OS through the CD, but it keeps going back to the installation menu (Is this correct or should it boot to the desktop?).

Im guessing that I have to reinstall the OS, however, what I would like to know is:

a) Do I have to uninstall the corrupt OS first? If so, how?
    b) The boot disk im using did not come with this G5 (It was purchased 2nd hand). It is a G5 boot disk (Mac OS 9.2) but will this cause issues if it asks for a serial number etc?

Thanks for your time, I will try and get back to any questions ASAP.

Francesca

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

a) No

b) OS X doesn't have a serial but the grey install discs are system specific thus a disc from other Mac may not work

3. thelightstudios thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, next problem..

When I have gone to install the OS, the computer isnt finding any location for me to download it to, which is weird as it passed the AHT.

I am also trying to repair it with the Disk Utility, but its saying the volume can not be repaired because of an error, without telling me what the error is. (I cant verify either and Repair Disk Permissions is blanked out.

Could it be a loose connection with the hard drive? And if so, why is it the one time the AHT tested it, the connection was fine?

F x

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds like your HD is busted. AHT doesn't see everything but if Disk Utility says it's bad, then it very likely is

5. thelightstudios thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Ive purchased a new HD for it now and managed to install it, however, when I try to load the OS, it is not allowing me to select a drive. (This was the case with the original HD as well).

Does this mean that its not the HD at fault and could be another hardware issue?

Thanks in advance

Fx

6. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

You need to use disk utility to format the new harddrive, they don't come pre-formated.

7. thelightstudios thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks Blackburn

but, how would I do that? I cant see a format option in disk utility..

f x