should i actually get it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hassoon, Jan 30, 2011.

1. hassoon macrumors regular

hi, i have an iphone 4 and i'm looking forward for an ipad(waiting for the ipad 2nd generation) but like what can add up to what my iphone can do? beside having a larger screen? sorry if there exist a similar thread!

2. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Well, you answered it right there - it has a larger screen. However, a larger screen is far more useful for general use and browsing around the home. I have both, and pretty much have the same apps on both. My iPhone is for use when I'm out and about, and my iPad is for use at home on the sofa. I didn't think I'd see much benefit from owning both too, but now I do, I can clearly see they perform very distinct functions. Gaming is often better on the iPad, but not always, and neither is a substitute for the other.

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Game apps obviously can be much more enjoyable. But there is too much similarity to make an iPad essential for an iPhone owner. I have both an am currently posting from the iPhone.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that android 3.0 tabs will have better app support, OR that iOS 5 will have a more functional Features for students and business folks like myself.

4. Cha macrumors regular

It depends....

Ask yourself what do you think you'll use it for?

Things I use the iPad for that provide a better experience than the iPhone:
    - Reading the Wall Street Journal/The Economist
    - Browsing the internet/news
    - Reading eBooks/magazines
    - Watching Netflix/Hulu Plus/Videos
    - Using different cookbooks and recipe guides while cooking
    - Browsing things to buy on Amazon

The key aspect lies in the fact of how much content will you be having (and paying for...) delivered to the iPad. Unfortunately most of the content that I use is paid subscription content, so my experience with the tablet will be different than a person who is not willing to pay for different content/services.

There are also a lot of content for children as well, if you are a parent.

The experience will be different for everyone. When I originally saw pictures and heard of the iPad... my initial reaction was it's just a big iPod touch. I was very negative and I did not see which market Apple was aiming for with the product.

When I actually went to the Apple Store and played with the WiFi version and I saw the Wall Street Journal app and the Bloomberg app, my opinion began to change. Instead of thinking how to transfer/duplicate my phone experience to this device... I began to think how to change my consumption habits that I had developed.

5. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Why not? Both my iP4 and iPad have their own places in my day.

6. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Also for like plane or train rides its nice to watch a movie on a larger screen and youtube is really good on it. I find that I have a place for both my iPad and iPhone first gen (so hasn't got all the cool new features) but I generally use that out and for texting ringing people and then my iPad as a web surfer/games device/magazine/youtube/mail. As long as you can justify its use and you know that you'll use it I'd say that you'll be very pleased with your purchase.

7. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Such as ? If you tell us what you want to do, we can help you...

8. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Would you hesitate at all about buying a 42inch HDTV to go in your living room to replace a 24inch one? They both get the same channels and display the same pictures. But watching on the larger TV sure is nicer!

I was skeptical at first of iPad, but honestly the larger screen makes a huge difference in content consumption.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Do you get more enjoyment from a large tv than you would from a small tv?

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You don't have to carry your TV around with you. ;)

11. ConnorCG macrumors member

I actually just bought a 23" monitor to use instead of my 37" television. I also like to use my iPod touch more than I like my iPad. If only my girlfriend liked small things as much as I ;).

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

iPhone vs. iPad:

Like the difference between a bath tub and an olympic-sized swimming pool. Sure, they're both filled with water, but you do vastly different things inside them.