Carrier Should I advertise my 6S as unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lamborghini392, May 28, 2016.

1. lamborghini392 macrumors member

I have a Verizon iPhone 6S and I am selling it to buy a GS7. I plan to use Swappa since it seems to the best and safest place to buy and sell used phones. I asked Verizon to unlock my phone and they said it already is since they don't lock any of their LTE phones. They said it will work on any CDMA network, but some GSM networks will have iffy connectivity.

So can I sell my phone as the unlocked A1688 model instead of the Verizon A1688 model? The unlocked version is going for about $20 more (16GB storage) so it would be great if I could sell it like that. The unlocked A1688 model is strictly for CDMA networks as opposed to the international A1633 model which is GSM networks.

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

If you can sell it for more listing it as an unlocked model, go for it. There's no difference between it and a normal unlocked iPhone with the same model number. Whoever buys it would never even know the difference.

Honestly I don't even know why Swappa has different listings for Verizon and unlocked iPhones. They should all just be sold unlocked.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I'd lost it unlocked. I'm also not sure why it would have iffy connectivity. It will work fine on almost all bands employed here in the US and probably elsewhere.

For all intents and purposes, that phone is an unlocked phone.

4. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like mentioned above swappa has an option to select Verizon.
    And mostly everyone's knows those Verizon lte iPhones are all unlocked.
    Not sure if iPhones listed as unlocked or as Verizon iPhones will bring in more money.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And the phone is paid off, no longer under contract, and with a clean IMEI?

7. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

If it's unlocked then list it as unlocked. If it's a Verizon (technically should be unlocked) then list it as Verizon.

Why list it incorrectly? If your buyer is savvy and you list it incorrectly he could claim item is not as listed and demand a refund if he ends up with buyers remorse.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Listing a Verizon model as unlocked is not incorrect. The phone is unlocked. If you had a phone that was previously locked and your carrier unlocked it, you could also list it as unlocked.

OP isn't listing it as SIM-free, which is a different model than the Verizon version and has band 30 while the Verizon model does not. A savvy buyer would ask for the model number before buying, not getting it and then finding out it's not the SIM-free model.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no option as SIM-Free at swappa.
    There is AT&T, Tmobile, Sprint, Verizon and Unlocked options.
    I think his device should be listed under Verizon since that's what it is and like you said it lacks band 30 that the unlocked model has available. Not every buyer is that well informed about what model number includes what and where.
    All they want to do is stick their sim in and make sure it works.
    https://swappa.com/buy/iphones

10. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Exactly. There is no SIM-free model option on Swappa so it doesn't matter.

No, the SIM-free model has band 30. There is no "unlocked model". Any model can be unlocked. Unlocked means your phone is not locked to any carrier.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, I guess the model number would help but not many will be tech savvy enough to hunt model numbers and figure out all bands available for each device and carrier.

12. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I sold my 6S on swappa. I selected the unlocked iphone, but in the description said it was originally a Verizon model which is unlocked.

13. Deepa1510 macrumors newbie

I sold my Verizon iPhone6 on SwitchGads (https://www.switchgads.com). They have separate listings for locked phones grouped by carrier and there is no selling fee!

14. TheRealCBONE macrumors regular

"Unlocked Verizon". Keep it simple and avoid an unhappy buyer. List it under the unlocked section and be perfectly clear in the description about it originating with Verizon.