Should I archive my email? Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WizardHunt, May 3, 2011.

1. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I have a iMac and use mobile me for my email. I am wondering if archiving my email will speed things up in the mail section or the mac overall. I have a ton of email that I keep in folders that are years old. I keep them for serial numbers for software I bought and so on. Then there are attachments to some emails such as family emails. I have about 10 GB in my mail folder under my library section under my user name. Should I consider archiving my email and how does that affect the email searching , say if I wanted to look up a email for a serial number? What are the steps on how to do it? Is there a article or can someone tell me how to do it?

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

I like 1Password for archiving my serial numbers and other passwords. You can even store the email in 1Password as reference.

For archiving check out Mail Archiver X It allows you to export and use their database for viewing so it's easy to find an old email. It also allows you to export in other formats as well like FileMaker. Works with Entourage, Eudora, Mail, Outlook, Postbox, Powermail, Thunderbird.

EagleFiler is another option by the maker of SpamSieve that can archive your mail.

Both have demos.

3. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

How do you use 1Password to store email? I own 1Password. Never knew it did that.

4. steve09090 macrumors member

I think he means you can add a new entry into 1Password with your serial numbers etc.. Not to archive email.

5. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Oh... My Bad.

6. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

You can drag the email with serial number into the 1Password entry and it will store that email for reference.

It's not for archiving all emails, but it's nice to be able to keep the original email with your 1Password entry.