Should I ask for a replacement...vibrating/crooked lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JustOneQuickONe, Nov 20, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I ordered my mac book pro just before the end of the back to school promotion. I have noticed that when I use the computer, about 90% of the time I feel a vibration in the palm/hand rest area. I have read this is probably because of the fans but is not normal for them to be running that much. My roommate and girlfriend both have the same computer and don't have the issue. I later noticed that when it is closed the lid slightly hangs over the bottom half. The top half doesn't quite close lined up right on top of the lower half, the left edge barely hangs over and the right edge is shifted to the left... if that makes sense. It's not huge and can't be noticed without looking, but if you run a finger along the edge you can definitely catch the hanging edge. I have tried to push it to line up and it won't go, so I don't think it's anything I have done.

I am going back home for Thanksgiving (no Apple store near my college) and plan on taking it back to the Genius Bar and see what they can do. How can I convince them to just give me a new one and not send it in or anything. I need it for school and can't really deal with it being gone for too long. This is my 2nd apple lap top, well technically my 3rd, the first white one had the hard drive go twice, and the CD drive go so they gave me a brand new whitebook, (then this year I upgraded to the pro) but I don't want to have to go through three visits to just get a computer that should work properly in the first place. Any suggestions?

2. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I'd get it looked at because of the wonky lid but the vibration thing may be normal...are you talking severe or just slight? I can feel the HD spinning or sound from the speakers etc when my hands are in the right place.

They will likely try to adjust the hinges to get it fitting better. They are not going to replace it for that unless you just get very very lucky. It would not be the standard.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you most likely wont get a replacement,

but i would get it looked at for sure,

i have replaced laptops because of those issues, depends on the issue's and the customer.

4. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think it's the hard drive, it can be felt pretty much anywhere on the computer, I think if it were the normal amount I would have felt it on the other computers I have checked.

If I drop the whole whitebook incident and having bought 5 ipods from them in the past you think that would help :)

I just don't want to have to leave my computer there since I have work to do over break and need my computer for it.

5. mikey28 macrumors 6502

You can always ask nicely. since the return period has passed, they are really going to want to try to fix it first.

Perhaps you can emphasize that you are a student, and to not have your computer really is a HUGE hardship for you.

But, somehow, I doubt that they will hand over a new computer...

6. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I was hoping to get to the store before the return period was up but I'm 2 hours away from the one back home and its the closest, and I don't have a car.
    I guess I'll just go in and be as nice as possible. How will they fix the fan problem? Is that a logic board issue or something?

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I understand that everyone wants a new machine, but Apple's policy states clearly what must occur for a replacement. That being said, given that you are still within the return period, giving you a new machine is a lot more common. You seem to have the right idea: be nice and good things will come around.

8. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

The vibration is most likely caused by electric current on the case of your Mac.
    You can fix it by using the extension cord that came with your mac instead of the little duckhead.
    In other words: Use the 3 plug instead of the 2 plug, as the 2 plug is not grounded and therefore does not allow the electric current to move away from your case.

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

There is no excuse for not getting the machine back to Apple for service. You can pick up a phone and call Applecare and they will send you a box. They do not care if you absolutely need a machine for work, school, mindless surfing, etc. If you absolutely need a computer then you need to have a backup. Call them and tell them what is going on and hope that the person on the other end has a little compassion. Replacement? Absolutely not but they will try to fix it.

10. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

the computer is plugged in with the 3 pronged extension cord and it happens even when the computer is not plugged in at all, so I don't think it's electric current, I'm pretty sure it's the fan's

I realize I can call and have them check it out, but being that it's nothing that makes the computer unusable I didn't want to risk sending my computer in just for repairs when I can eventually take it to the store and get it replaced much faster than shipping it out and waiting for it to come back. Having a back up computer is pretty much out of the question considering I'm in college and can't exactly afford a back up "just in case" something goes wrong.

How long is the return period, 30 days?
    I looked through my online receipt but couldn't find anything.

11. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I have been told 30 and 14 on the phone with AppleCare...depends who you talk to it seems. Surely it is in writing somewhere. Sooner the better in any case.

12. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have sent my MBP's in for servicing and it was a three day turn around. The only in store service I had was thirteen days for a hard drive, it was not a pleasant experience. You are assuming a great deal and should call before taking further action.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You're not going to get an exchange unless your within the 14 day return policy. It's always been 14 days online or in the retail Apple stores. If you bought it before the end of the back to school promo then you're even past 30 days as the promo ended Sept 8th.

14. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah I realize it would still be more than 30 days, I was just checkin how long it would be. Well hopefully I can just have them adjust it/fix it quick.
    All the fixes I'v had at the apple store where very quick but I'll for sure check how long it'll take them and how long it'll take to ship
    Does anyone know how the fan issue would be solved?

15. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

They might replace the fan?