Should I avoid buying a Macbook Air with loud fan noises on startup?

SCtester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2019
I'm considering buying a 2013 11" Macbook Air on Ebay for a good price. The catch is that the seller says the fan kicks in on high upon startup, for a few minutes after startup, and when many programs are open. But they say it doesn't see to overheat and performs as normal.

Could fans going on high be a sign of something serious, or should it not be a concern? I've heard that this might be able to be fixed by resetting the SMC, but is there potential for it to be something more serious?

Thanks!

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
I’d consider high fan noise kind of a positive as that means heat can be dissipated rather quickly. SMC reset will probably change it back to the default terrible “noise first thermal next” Apple way, increasing the chance of further damaging internals and such.

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you can get the machine for a real good price it might be worth taking a chance on. High fan RPM on startup could be the sign of trouble: Bad heat sensor for one, buildup of dust and fuzz inside the machine, and so on. If you're a handy person and can work on the MBA yourself, it might be alright. Check with www.ifixit.com and see what's involved with getting inside that machine.

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reactions: SCtester