Should I be afraid of being a first adopter for the new macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AntiKarateKid, Aug 30, 2008.

1. AntiKarateKid macrumors newbie

You know the usual bugs and quirks and such that everyone has to volunteer to suffer from. On top of this, would it take long for there to be things like invisible shields and such for the new macbooks?

Maybe I am paranoid, maybe I am tryng to give in and buy one right now.. who knows..

what do YOU think?

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

you really wont need an invisible shield

and its not new software
    just better hardware
    there should be little or no bugs

3. dmcbride macrumors newbie

I may be wrong but I think he is referring to HARDWARE bugs (ie: hissing in the original macbook pros, discolorations in the original macbooks, lockups in the original macbook airs).

This is also something I'm a tad bit worried about. I'm contemplating buying a new MBP when they are relased in a month or two.

I was an extremely satisfied and happy owner of an original MBP shortly after the intel switch...but this was only after swapping out for two systems. My initial problem was the hissing sound coming form the chipset - this was quickly resolved by replacing it with a new machine. The second machine had a physical defect that warranted another replacement. The third try was a charm.

One thing to keep in mind is apple has a hell of a service department including customer service. They truly do bend over backwards to keep you happy...this is probably the one reason I will feel comfortable buying one of the newly released systems.

4. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

yes be very afraid. :eek:

no really. if you can wait for 3-6 months, then DO!

5. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

As a first adopter, yes wait my Air was nothing but headaches, and also my MBP.

6. Mackan macrumors 65816

I think Apple should spend more time on testing and QA to avoid certain past embarassing bugs with new revisions. And regarding Apple Care, it's quite individual if you get good customer service anyways.

I say, be happy if you get a product that is solid from the beginning. Sitting here and basically knowing there's gonna be issues with the new revisions... is well, disappointing.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You mean the ones that also plague every subsequent generation?

You're covered with AppleCare for a year, anyway; just buy a new one on launch day.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

everything you mentioned were MAJOR changes
    switch to a completly new chipset
    requiring the SOFTWARE to be coded diffrently

compacting everything into such a tiny package

the new MBP
    from what i hear
    is some hardware IMPROVEMENTS (nothing too revolutionary) and a redesigned case

nothing apple cant handle

9. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

if there were new macbooks out, i would be wary. i didn't get this powerbook well into 3-4 revisions. unless you really need it right now, you can always wait a little for the kinks to be worked out, and then truly enjoy your machine hassle free (hopefully)

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I was the owner of 2 first revisions of Macs and swore I will never do it again. I now let others be the guinea pigs. That being said I'm sure the new Macbooks with aluminum cases will look nice and might have a few other things added, but personally I hate the aluminum look and most of all first revisions.

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

If Apple's quality control with the mac is same as the iPhone 3G's to "meet the demand" then you'd be better off from buying one until 2 months!

12. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Thank you for saying what I have been thinking Next year , this time I will buy IF i end up liking it .

13. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

always look on the bright side of life

Come on guys u are all negative Nancy's just buy the f***ING COMPUTER

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well case designers get the specs a few weeks in advance usually, so stuff can be released almost immediately. Take the iPhone 3G. Zagg made a SHIELD a month before release.

15. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Basically, there will always be bugs and things to worry about hardware wise. In the current generation products there are still some bugs (iSight light staying on, failing graphics cards in MBPs, etc) that Apple doesn't always have an answer for.

On the first generation MacBooks and MBPs, frying MagSafe adapters (On MBP as well), discoloration, cracking, high logic board failures (On MBP as well). PowerBooks, we had the white spot screen issue, iBooks, we had failing GPUs, tons and tons of battery recalls. The Air had random lock ups as well.

First revisions will always have bugs in them QA can't find without an extended period of time to work with, and that isn't always provided.

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I wouldn't be too afraid, but don't be surprised if there are a few small problems that are somewhat annoying (screen issues, ect.) if there is a major case redesign. And you will have to wait a few weeks before most of the product-specific accessories (cases mostly) come out if the redesign is all that much different from the current model. And that is all counting on there being a major redesign soon.