Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkypoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I purchased an ibook g4 recently and now i see that they have a new model. I'm having regrets.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
BakedBeans said:
What a horrible title to a thread.

reported

i think he means bummed in the sense of being annoyed, well i would hope so.

and yes if i bought an ibook last month i would probably be annoyed, especially if he knew about the probability of macbooks coming soon.however, if he needed a laptop then then he was right to buy it.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
pinkypoo said:
I'm having regrets.

Nothing too unusual for that reaction to have set in. However, if your iBook is performing smoothly and satisfying the needs that made you buy a computer in the first place, then you should be quite content and enjoy it. Owners of that G4 laptop consistently speak highly of it. Don't let technology purchases put you in a deep funk.

lucab1982

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
London, England
Did you pay with a credit card?

How did you pay? Some credit cards have purchase protection such as American Express and it normally lasts 3 months so you may be covered if you paid in that way.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I'd only be bummed if I paid full price. Did you? Other than that, they still are great machines and smaller than any Apple will every produce. So, you got something plus you have no Rev A macbook problems.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
lucab1982 said:
How did you pay? Some credit cards have purchase protection such as American Express and it normally lasts 3 months so you may be covered if you paid in that way.

Credit card companies cover buyer's remorse? Sign me up!!!

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
I would be quite annoyed, just because the Macbooks perform a lot better and the cost of them is not much more. It also looks so much better.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Yes, I would be extremely bummed. ...There. Do you feel any better? :rolleyes:

Really, you've got a perfectly good machine. Just be happy and enjoy it, because quite frankly, you can't do much about it.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Really, I agree with the above. Yes, bummed, but com'on. You got a really nice machine which could easily satisfy your needs. I bought a 14" iBook last November and still hasn't regretted it. Yes the MacBook Pros and MacBooks are bitchin', but everything is still Rosetta, whining, mooing, heating/cooking issues are imminent as well as bad backlight bleeding on some of the 17": No, these laptops are not "finished" yet in my opinion, they're still on the beta table.

If everything goes well in a couple of months, you could always save up for a fully functional MBP for home use and use the iBook as a great transportable and very capable notebook.

I know I am gonna buy a 17" for the screen space (I am fed up with only having one document at the front at a time and exposéing all the time) and use my 14" as a transportable studying computer. I love the mac laptop line (keyboards and touchpads are soooooo nice) and wouldn't get a desktop until old age anyway.

Be happy with your new discontinued iBook and use it well. Just be happy about not having any problems yet :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Could it not develop a fault ;) Have to be replaced.

When they ship a replacement you simply dont open the box and ring apple and tell them you want a refund. They should accept it back, refund you and you can order a macbook....

I know it's cheeky - but I managed to get rid of my liney Rev E powerbook for an iMac core duo by doing that..... Apple refused to do anything about the screen even though it was faulty, but when I complained about battery they replaced it?

It's worth a go. Tell them the battery is fine one minute, then its shutting down and such.... They'll think it's a logic board failure...

direzz

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
EricNau said:
Yes, I would be extremely bummed. ...There. Do you feel any better? :rolleyes:

Really, you've got a perfectly good machine. Just be happy and enjoy it, because quite frankly, you can't do much about it.

he could sell it...

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
MacRumorUser said:
Could it not develop a fault ;) Have to be replaced.

When they ship a replacement you simply dont open the box and ring apple and tell them you want a refund. They should accept it back, refund you and you can order a macbook....

I know it's cheeky - but I managed to get rid of my liney Rev E powerbook for an iMac core duo by doing that..... Apple refused to do anything about the screen even though it was faulty, but when I complained about battery they replaced it?

It's worth a go. Tell them the battery is fine one minute, then its shutting down and such.... They'll think it's a logic board failure...

Thats clever... :)

*Noted*

Matt Phoenix

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2006
I bought a 14 inch iBook a few months ago and am extremely happy with it. While the new MacBooks do look nice, I feel no remorse for not waiting longer. It's still an extremely awesome laptop that does exactly what I need (web surfing, listening to music, GIMPshop, minor iMovie video editing, etc.).

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
i'd snap, lose it. Find steve jobs and head fake him with your ibook (the sucker will go for it), then give him a flurry of jabs to the solarplex and finish with a snap kick to the groin.

Then he'd call ya the Champ.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes, I think you should become a bum, if you aren't already one.

Of course becoming a homeless wino would probably be a worthy future goal.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I love my ibook and won't replace it until it simply won't run anymore. I did that with a G3 ibook as well. They're great machines, just bump up the RAM as far as it will go and you're set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.