Should I be buying an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by triple-tap, Sep 17, 2014.

1. triple-tap macrumors 6502

Hello all,

So, I have decided that I am going to trade my 15" MPB (early 2011 mode) to Amazon for $700. This is the price for a computer in excellent shape, and I honestly believe that mine qualifies for this. If they don't accept it for $700, I've instructed them to return it to me (not give me the next lower value).

In any case, I am looking at getting a home computer for my fiancé and I. We both have base model 13" MBA (2013) for work, and the MPB had been our "home computer" for a while.

Should I be looking at an iMac though?

I do a ton of .pdf editing, some photo editing, minimal video editing, not really a gamer on computer (have an /XB1/).

She is an elementary teacher, and she does a lot of photo heavy presentation creation.

Should I be looking for a 27" iMac? or would you recommend going with a rMPB + an external monitor?

If I go with a 27" iMac, can I install 8 gigs of 1333mhz ram in addition to the 8 gigs of 1600mhz ram that are included in the base 27" iMac? Or will the difference in ram types screw things up?

I ask about the ram because I already have an extra 8 gigs of 1333 (2 x 4gigs) from the macbook pro I traded to Amazon. Amazon only wanted to quote me a price for the 4 gig configuration, so I kept the 8 gig sticks.

Thanks for your time.

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I would definitely consider a 27' iMac, think about storage also, you can get it with a 1 or 3TB fusion drive that combines an SSD with a regular hard drive, the performance is quite nice, I have a 1TB fusion drive in my 2013 27' iMac. As for the RAM, I would just order it with 16GB and sell the 8GB you have, I am not sure if the faster RAM in the new iMac will down clock to the RAM you already have, there is also a slim change of incompatibility so I would just order it with 16GB.

Good luck!

3. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advise.

One thing to consider, however, is that I won't be able to purchase a BTO imac since the money from the sale of my MBP is coming in the form of an amazon store credit. This, I'm limited to the configurations available via amazon (and I will only buy from amazon Prime options).

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I am in agreement with ashman70. You and your fiancé already have MBA's. So the 27" iMac is a good choice and the 1 or 3 TB Fusion, depending on your storage needs. The fusion is minimally slower than an SSD, but the average user would never notice the difference. 27" screen is amazing to work on, especially when doing Photoshop work or working with multiple programs open.

Do not mix the RAM. Order with 16GB and sell your other. You will down clock the faster RAM that comes with the iMac and could run in to other issues. Just not worth it. Plus the 27" can have the RAM upgraded at a later date.

Only other thing to do is have a good backup plan. The new iMac is a great machine and you will really enjoy working with it.

5. Roller macrumors 68020

The primary factor determining whether you should buy a desktop or laptop computer is whether you'll have to move it around. If it's going to stay put (apart from rare moves from one room to another or between homes), I'd recommend a desktop. Laptops, although very capable, always represent ergonomic compromises. Sure, you can get around them by adding keyboards and monitors, but why spend the money if you don't have to.

If you go for a desktop, I think that a 27" iMac will certainly meet your and your fiancee's needs. As for the RAM, I've always been told that mixing types should be avoided.

6. ApfelKuchen, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

I have a 27" with Fusion. Love it! Since Fusion is a BTO option... If it's all about Amazon Prime? You can buy from Apple and get free shipping.

Consider an Apple refurbished with Fusion. Get 8GB, see how you like it. If you still feel another 8GB is necessary, buy the correct RAM type from a third party.

7. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, that won't be an option, as I only have about $1,100 to spend in addition to the $700 from amazon

Thus, it must come from amazon.

I do have a time capsule with 3 tb that we use for backups of our mba's and we have a few external drives for sentative documents that we keep in a safety deposit box.