Should I be concerned with heavy fan use during upgrades?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ih8reno, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Hope I'm not confusing with my title but I had one worry about my early 2011 13 inch Macbook Pro. Since I bought it I have upgraded the ram to 16gb and have a 240GB Crucial SSD installed. It runs fine but whenever there is a software update or if I use virtual box to try out other Os's the fans go on high. I have noticed my wife 2012 Macbook Pro (non retina) doesn't do this type of behaviour. The fan is clean inside so I know thats not an issue. Long story short is this type of high fan use a symptom of anything bad?

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

my older, pre retina macbook pro, and my new retina one, both run the fans when i do OS updates...usually. should be fine...

3. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

My rMBP behaves exactly the same way during Software Updates.. I would say this is expected behavior.

4. imorton macrumors 6502

I have an early 2011 13" MB Pro with 8Gb Ram & 250Gb SSD. I run it with an external monitor (so it runs a little warmer) and with light usage it runs @ 130-150F.

Now if I open a VM (Parallels Desktop) or do system updates, or use Photos, or do some heavier multitasking, the temps can climb between 170-190F

There has been on occasions for example when Mail is getting mail, Safari has 10 tabs open and refreshing, and my VM is opening up, and opening Office for Mac, and my temps can climb to 200-208F

I understand that the CPU has a thermal protection of 100 deg C, or 212F, to prevent damage. It is a little discerning when you see the temps this high, but the fans are spinning at 6200 RPM, so I presume the system is running normally.

You can install iStat Menus, a great program to monitor temps, cpu, ram, and a slew of other computer attributes.

I hope this helps, IAN.

5. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Thanks guys. Everything seems to function well its just when comparing it to a non upgraded machine whose fan is barely audible during the updates it worried me that maybe my primary machine was on its way out.