Should I be contented with a 16gig since we have iCloud drive now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emir, Sep 13, 2014.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hey guys;

Where I live (Turkey) the price difference between 16gig and 64gig iPhone 6 is ~$140 (300 Turkish Liras) Since I am using Spotify Premium now (although it's not exactly like having an iTunes library, music catalogue isn't perfect and you have to manage online/offline availability all the time, that's why I still have 1500 songs installed on my iPhone) and we are having iCloud Drive for only like 2$ a month for 20gigs, do you think I should be contented with a 16gig iPhone 6?

I currently use a 32gig iPhone 4S and there's barely any space but I have +1500 songs installed on it and photos from camera roll of course.

Of course it sounds like a stupid question since it's all up to me but I just wanted to ask some other people's opinion.

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

3. RansZ28 macrumors regular

RansZ28

As I have 500gb of Google Drive, I purchased the 16gb. No need to pay for more storage if I won't use it.

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I'm going back and forth on this too. I have a 16GB iPhone 5s and only have 2GB left. I have iTunes Match and that helps, but when I go camping cell service is really bad.

I always felt 64GB was over kill for me and I had 32GB iPhones as well and would have 6-8GB open.

I really wish they dropped the 16 and made the 32 the lowest for the current model.

5. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

They knew if they did this, very very few people would opt for a 64 or 128 since 32 is plenty for most people. All about that $$ :p

6. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Depends how good your WiFi/3G/4G connectivity is!

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

8. jojo345 macrumors newbie

jojo345

All I have ever had has been the 16gb models (since they had 16gb models; had every iPhone since the first one). Much like a few folks here, I use google drive at the moment and will be more than happy to switch to icloud drive when it goes live. :)

9. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Just my apps take almost 11GB on my phone, and I don't have a lot of big games, but I do have 155 apps.

10. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I contemplated getting 64GB to be future proof, but ultimately ended up with 16GB as I am only using 8GB on my current phone, it would have just been a waste of money (and the fact the 64GB silver was out of stock when I went to reserve online, so it was 64GB grey or 16GB silver, 16GB silver won ;))

11. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

only reason im going to be getting the bigger of the models is because of the new att data plans that im currently on is shared data (and my sister that i addded to my plan uses ALOT of data) so i'd much rather have anything that i want locally on my phone and not have to download/stream over my cellular network.

12. Lorenzo F macrumors member

Wouldn't it depend on how accessible iCloud storage is from the iPhone and what you are trying to store?

I'm not completely clear on how iCloud works, but let's say you take a lot of photos with your phone when on vacation (using this example because I think photos and videos occupy a lot of the storage space on people's iPhones). It makes sense that if you run out of space, you simply upload them to iCloud. But with iOS, my understanding is that you have to use Photostream--and Photostream doesn't count against your iCloud storage. After the photos are uploaded to Photostream, you would then turn off "My Photo Stream" in the settings, delete the photos from your phone, and you would have free space on your phone. Then on your Mac, PC, or iPad you would have "My Photo Stream" turned on and would download the photos to that device.

So my point is that what capacity iPhone you choose would depend on how easy it is to utilize the Cloud (whether it is iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox) to store your files. In my example, if photos are your major concern, then it would depend on how willing you are to do a little work occasionally to save the extra money.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I prefer to have my stuff with me. I have limited bandwidth and sometimes 4G speeds. I'd rather not need to download it if I can have it on me.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'll be using my plus as an ipad. It's big enough for movies on the go. Those aren't all that doable without spending gigs and gigs of data.

If you know you can stream everything you'd want, go for it. I have more than 16GB of pictures alone, but we take a lot of pictures of my yound boy, sot here's that.