Should I be crying or just be glad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBookfan, Feb 26, 2008.

1. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Hi

I have a freind who is comming from USA to Denmark with a black macbook for me, with 2.2 ghz, 4 gb ram, 160 gb hd for a VERY nice price.

The new black model has 2.4 ghz and a larger harddrive.

But here's my question: Can you tell the difference between 2.2 and 2.4 ghz? I don't care about the HD because 160 gb is more than enough for me.

Should I be crying?

2. reflex macrumors 6502a

You won't really notice the difference between 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz in everyday use.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

Just be happy. There will be no noticeable performance difference and the hard drive you can easily swap out WHEN you need it (as opposed to getting it when you don't probably need more...). Just enjoy and don't think too much about it. It's not such an amazing upgrade!

4. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Okay. I'll be using Logic stuido 8, but I have a freind who runs it on a Macbook 1.83 ghz, 512 mb ram

So I think I'm just gonna be glad :)

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Only thing to tell you the difference would be a benchmark test. And even at the slightest difference in numbers it would show.

I would be happy. ;)

6. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Don't cry at all. Just make sure the price is still very nice considering the upgrade, unless of course you already committed to the price, then it doesn't matter. The MB update is a small speedbump in my opinion. You get a 0.2 GHz processing bump, but you lose 1 mb of L2 cache. Other than that, I *believe* that the new processor is more energy efficient, so you might see a small boost in battery life with the newer model. I think you should feel very good with your purchase.

7. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Thanks guys! :)

You know what EDB stands for right? Eleven Days Behind :D

8. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Well.. the other difference is that they are penryns with onboard cache so that gives them another little (5-10%) boost at the same clockspeed. I don't think you'll notice it, but it will probably be about 10% faster.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You will get years of enjoyment from your MacBook. Relax.

10. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Well okay... But I can't return and don't want to wait any more. I'm needing a mac now! :p

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'm in the same field as you. I ordered an old SR+Merom MBP and now I have to refuse the order so I can buy the new one.

12. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Okay.. Well the MBP update is also much better than the MB update

13. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Actually, that is only relevant to the MBP as it's chips increased from 4 mb to 6 mb L2 cache in the higher-end models. The MB, however, saw a reduction from 4 mb to 3 mb L2 cache, though it also go an increase in clock speed to 2.4 GHz, up from 2.2 GHz. Either way, both processors have cache. The only other notable difference is the new set of chip instructions with Penryn that could lead to dramatic performance increases with certain programs written specifically for it.

14. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

2.2 and 2.4 no big difference, technically it is a big difference

but you just wouldn't notice it

just enjoy using your new Black MB

it is a sweet machine man

Penryn would probably gives the new MB 10 - 20 % faster, but again

you will never notice the difference unless you're running on a 2.8 Ghz :D

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You'll never be happy if you need the newest and best. My MBP got outdated in 5 weeks (and it did kinda suck since they doubled the RAM and put in LED-backlit screens on that one...not just mainly a processor bump).

This thing is almost a year old and still seems pretty new. I think there's a glitch in the latest Safari or my ISP that causes a little Web chaos, but other than that I couldn't tell you it wasn't just bought.

16. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Is apple really sending out older machines when there is an update coming ? Chances are real that you get a new machine.

17. fafsa1025 macrumors newbie

I'd be glad if someone was coming over with a Macbook for me..

18. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

Just be glad you're paying the U.S (weak) dollar price. the already unjustified Apple price policy added to a weak dollar can make a pretty nice saving :D