Should I be ripping into Apple? 9400m issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeinJapan, Jun 23, 2010.

1. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Hey Guys

I bought a MBP 2.53Ghz in late 2008 and I have been having the 9400m flashing issue. I have had a new logic-board and screen then the screen again because they gave me a screen with dead pixels and the issue continued with the 9400m. Then another logic-board. I finally get it back and the battery cover was loose and the screen was bowing. So I just got it back and the issue is still there. I have tried PRAM and reinstalls. I am getting really peed at taking it back all the time. So far I have spent over 10 hours on trains and plus time waiting in the store.

I used my computer tonight and I have the same 9400m screen flicker. I have never had an issue with Apple products outside a minor iPhone glitch with Japanese language and I have been a user for about 5 years now.

I have Applecare and while they are being helpful (and the stores are too) they are not doing their jobs. Should I start being a little more direct (by that I mean angry but polite) to get them to do the job?

So far;

2 x logic-board
    2 x screen (3 if you count the dodge one)
    1 x battery cover

This is all on top of the issues I had at release with the dirty screens (2 computers).

2. cwsm macrumors member

I have the same issue.

15" 2.53ghz 4GB 9400m/9600GT
    I called Apple a week ago and was briefly transferred to a senior who asked me a couple questions regarding the issue. I specifically asked for a replacement, telling them I already had the logic board/screen replaced and that was a big part of the machine. I said I don't want to deal with the issue again and again, especially once Apple Care runs out. He said he would send them to the engineers, who would decide if he should give me a replacement or not. He said it usually takes 24 hours or less depending on the number of cases they have to deal with. Well, he never got back to me. I sent him an email last weekend and he didn't reply. So I called again today and very politely left a message on his voicemail.

I exchanged my first MacBook Pro due to a couple of dead pixels on the screen. They gave me another one and a small discount. A couple months later, it started having the flickering issue, so I brought it to the genius. They replaced the Logic Board and the screen. Now the flickering is back. It was most frequent last week when I was using Photoshop, Sketchup and other memory extensive programs.

The problem is, the new i5/i7 MacBook Pros have a freezing issue. There's a thread here and you can go read it. I know the (unofficial) rule is that you must have the same part replaced 3 times in order to qualify for a replacement. However, I'm not sure if I would like it replaced since it might have the freezing problem and I would lose the removable battery/hdd and the expresscard/34 slot. I would push for a 17" upgrade if possible.

And this is a well known issue, but I don't think Apple acknowledges it.

3. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to give them a call today and push a little it's just sucks because the machine is great in all respects except this chip issue. I was going to just use the 9600 GT with a 24" monitor and buy an i7 then I thought no because I already have paid a lot more for this machine than a 17" i7 machine. PM me if you have any luck and I'll do the same.

4. cwsm macrumors member

The senior never got back to me. No calls or emails. I'm going to call his extension again tomorrow. If he doesn't pick up, I'll call the main support line and hopefully get transferred to another senior. One improvement in the new line of MBPs is that they have the ability to transfer audio through mini-DisplayPort. Even if they don't grant me one, I believe I'll be getting one sooner or later. I wholeheartedly doubt this problem will go away.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I doubt it's as bad as you make it. I haven't had this issue along with my friends who also have the same card in their MBPs. Maybe it's because I have the Mid 2009 model and not the 2008 model.

6. Venturo macrumors newbie

Yes.

@ Mikeinjapan : you should be getting a replacement...be nice with them. Or if the flickering is still there, go for a last logic board replacement, if it is there again, you WILL get a replacement.

7. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I still have it. I have seen a few times but I have only had it a week. I'll call them tonight. I don't really need or want a new machine, I just want a flicker free machine.

8. cwsm macrumors member

They denied my logic board was ever replaced. Only the top assembly, they said. Another senior told me the engineers recommend replacing the logic board and memory. So that's what I'm going to do tomorrow.

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I believe it is an inherent issue with all machines that have the 9400M + ExpressCard slot. As far as I know, it never develops into something worse, or happens with an external, or with the 9600M. So I'm not sure a replacement will get you anywhere.

10. macagain macrumors regular

Actually I have the opposite problem... the flicker only happens with the 9400m on an external monitor. never happens with the 9600, or on the screen itself. This coupled with the fans almost always running above the base speeds is prompting me to get applecare, which is a first for me after 2 powerbooks and a non unibody mbp.

11. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

Actually since my last logic board upgrade I have been experiencing fans and full speed a lot. When I hear it I just figured that it was to do with my load or my imagination. I thought I was just finding faults with the machine and brushed it off. Well Apple are picking it up tomorrow, just sucks not having a MacBook for a few days.

12. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular