Should I be scared about damaging my rMBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmanmx, Jul 26, 2012.

1. kmanmx macrumors 6502

I just got my first macbook ever on July 15th, so been using it for a week or two now and love it. However, I am pretty crazy about protecting it in everyway possible. I'm using a thick hard leather case when not in use, when I put it on a table, I lay it on a magazine so to avoid any potential scratches - though I am aware that it has feet. I even put any drinks I have atleast 2 feet away incase I spill it..:rolleyes:

I intended to take it to work as I have a 1.5hour commute on the train. However after getting it, i've found myself totally paranoid about scratching or denting the thing. I fear one knock against anything remotely hard while it's in my laptop bag would dent it, i'd be incredibly upset if that happens :eek:

What i'm asking is, how easy is it to scratch and dent, and is it worth getting insurance on it that covers accidental loss and damage ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's worth getting insurance, but I would't fret so much about scratching it. It's likely going to get scratched, sooner or later. That won't affect it's functionality at all. While it makes sense to handle electronics carefully (not banging or dropping them), you don't have to go overboard about it. Just relax and enjoy your Mac.

3. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I feel that at between $30 and $70 a year and often no deductible, insurance is almost always worth it, especially compared to the far inferior AppleCare at over twice the price.

While I would certainly use a case for carrying a Macbook, I wouldn't go as far as to not lay it on top of a table because you're worried about scratches. The rubberish "feet" on the bottom of every MBP are designed to prevent the table from meeting the aluminum surface.

4. kmanmx thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that.

Are either of you aware of insurance policies that will cover it against dents even if the functionality is not affected ?

5. Funkenstein macrumors regular

Yes but don't lose any sleep about it. Be cautious & look after it, aswell as practical & insure it as it can be easily damaged/stolen in public.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare isn't inferior; it's a completely different coverage. Insurance covers damage or loss, which AppleCare doesn't. AppleCare covers manufacturing defects, which insurance doesn't. Insurance and warranties are two different things.
    Unless the dent is significant or causes functionality problems, it's likely not worth worrying about. It won't dent that easily, anyway.

7. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I know this, but considering the probabilities of receiving some sort of accidental damage or loss vs receiving some sort of manufacturer defect after it works fine at the end of the first year and before the third (at least with the standards that Apple's supposed to hold itself to), I'd say the former is far more likely than the latter (at least in my everyday life - I'm sure if you were to use it strictly as a desktop replacement it could happen otherwise).

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The point is that both insurance and AppleCare have their purposes. AppleCare isn't inferior.

9. kmanmx thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, thanks guys. I'll look around for some decent insurance.

I definitely need some decent cover as this has to last me 3 years (Paid using 3 year finance - to poor to afford the £1800 lump sum :p )

10. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Wait for the Speck cases to come out for it and get one. I have one for my non-retina MBP and like it. I got a colored one, it sets it apart from everyone else's and provides protection against scratches and dents (but it should be removed and cleaned monthly).

www.speckproducts.com

11. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

if you paid 2000 and that was a lot of money to you. Yes, be scared. I am.

12. Bluehinder macrumors member

I'd be worried about denting or scratching it.

13. Lord Adama macrumors member

I would purchase Applecare and get insurance on it if your credit card company offers that or you can get a pelican case for it (the 1495 should work for it). I have one for my 17' macbook pro and to this day the only damage that has been done to it scratch dent or otherwise (putting the screws for the bottom plate in reverse order and then tightening them in all the way [sp?] causing them to go through the other side of the laptop) has all been caused by the genius bar ironically enough. I had mine getting the screen repaired for the third time and when I got it back they put the wrong display on (anti-glare as opposed to the glossy I had) so now its still in the shop lol. Sorry for my long winded rant/funny story but what I will leave you with is if you get a case like that and make sure you take your rMBP to the Apple store as soon as a problem you should have nothing to worry about. If i had to stress one thing if you do buy applecare and start noticing issues with your laptop take it in as soon as you can.

14. Queen6, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

This alone makes cover absolutely mandatory for you, the very last thing you need to happen is the machine to be damaged, be rendered non useable and have no cover, minimum you need is; theft, accidental damage, manufacturing defect.

Good tip keep you drinks at a lower level than your Mac, this way the only thing you will be worried about is clean up :)

15. mark28 macrumors 68000

MBP dent very easily. That's where plastic laptops beat the MBP.

Insurance isn't worth it.

16. joshtheburrito macrumors member

Sounds like me whenever i get any new Apple product. The babying eventually wears off, though. ;)

17. Romeo604 macrumors regular

the more you think about denting it you will dent it.

the more carefree you think about it the less likely you will dent it IMO.

Like wearing a new shirt to eat, you will obsess about getting it dirty and you will not enjoy your food and once you start to enjoy the food it will end up on your shirt :)

Enjoy the machine!