Should I be waiting outside an Apple or AT&T store at 1PM EST?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anonymouslives, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Or do you guys think the new iPhone will NOT be made available today?

2. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

No iPhone has been made available on the day of its announcement. You'll look quite the fool waiting in line for something several weeks before its release.

And Star Wars Episode I doesn't count.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Only if you wanted to buy something else. They’ll announce it today and state when it’ll go on sale. It won’t be today.

4. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Don't, there is no way it is going to be available today

Just wait

5. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

6. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I doubt it's going to be available today, or this week for that matter. Why would Apple announce it's available today, when the developers (the people that this conference is actually for) would be tied up in the conference itself all week, and not even able to get back to their home market (don't know if it's changed, but AT&T normally has to have you purchase a new phone or upgrade in your home region) in time enough to be able to purchase the phone? If Apple announced availability today, they've lose half or more of the attendees as they left to go get in line. Why host this conference with probably 1000 of Apple's engineers on site for developer meetings/conferences when anyone wanting the iPhone would have to leave to go get it?

7. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Please do! I can picture endless amounts of comedy that could ensue.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

1PM?? No way, you should have camped out last night! You're late dude. Better get up there quick!

9. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Ya, no chance it will be released today.

Haha, based on the past couple months we would have seen all the leaked shipment photos by now with boxes and boxes full of iPhones if it were.

10. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

the only thing you will be able to do today

1. preorder if there is a new phone announced

2. download the new system to your current iphone

11. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I didn't know much about the WWDC, so this information is new to me, thanks.

Thanks everyone for the honest responses, I just didn't know if it was possible it could come out today or not and I wanted to be prepared.

12. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

So you've been a member since April 2008, own a 3GS, and your still confused whether it will be released today or not :confused:

13. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Are the apple stores closed during the event?

14. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I am not sure if this qualifies, but my mom lost hers while on vacation and she was able to purchase a new phone (for an early upgrade) in the state that she was visiting.

15. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Yes, Yes, wait outside the store. At 1PM EST, march in there and demand a phone and don't take not for an answer.

16. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I do not think that Apple would release a product that besides a few things, no one knows about it. I would think that they want you to learn about the iPhone before purchasing it.

Think about it. People are saying that Steve Jobs would not want them to leave for the remainder of the week, so why would he want to be unveiling the new iPhone to an empty audience? Plus, when it comes time to reveal when the release date is, is he going to say, "And you can purchase your new iPhone, oh, about two hours ago!"

17. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If you're not there already, you're not getting one today.

18. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

FWIW, my mom had to upgrade her phone back in January while she was on vacation in FL (we're all from St. Louis) and they didn't have a problem at all with that. I'm hoping the same holds true because I'm down here now and will be looking to buy the new iPhone as soon as I possibly can.

19. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

no way it's available today. It's about 100% it won't be. Just order it online.

20. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

No, I don't see apple selling them immediately. It will be for sale ~10 days after today.

21. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

It may be changed by now, I'm not sure. I know back several years ago when I worked for an authorized AT&T reseller(right after the Cingular acquisition of AT&T) that it was the policy that we couldn't activate/upgrade anyone outside their home region. Cingular/AT&T was utilizing several different computer systems around the country at that time, due to the different companies being brought under one brand at that time (old Bell South, Bell South DCS, AT&T blue, Cingular, etc). And I know as of a little over a year ago, my dad (lives in North Carolina) couldn't upgrade his AT&T phone in Georgia (where I live) and was told he'd have to do it back at home. Again, it's very likely that they are all on the same system now and this might be a non-issue.

22. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Why? It isn't going to release today, or this week.

23. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

I'm sure you could walk into the store and ask to pre-order it after the Keynote is over...

24. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Imagine all the leaks if the iPhone HD/4 was already at Apple stores...LOL!