Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
Hey, guys. My iPhone just quit on me today while I was trying to open Facebook. It wouldn't open, so I turned off my phone. I tried to turn it back on, but it's stuck on the apple logo. It won't come on at all. I'm going to send it in for repairs - but will my information be okay? I can't restore it. I have most of my passwords saved on my phone. I even have a picture of my social security card. I'm freaking out about it! What do you guys think? I've never had this happen before. Could I still wipe it from "Find my iPhone" on my iPad even though it's frozen? Help!

Also, does anyone know if Apple still does the rental iPhone while one is being repaired? I know they did for the first generation, but I haven't had one repaired since. Thank you!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I wouldn't worry too much, there isn't anything you can do to erase the data, but Apple probably isn't likely to be trying hard to pull your data off. Just pay attention to make sure that nobody is using your information, and if they do immediately get it fixed.

the.sheepdog

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central FL
Now Google I would be afraid of. They work with the CIA. But then they probably have all your info anyway! Apple wont steal your stuff. Too much liability.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
Thanks for the responses. I figure they have better things to do than search my email/twitter/texts/pictures, but who knows.

Another question: How long should it take to get it back after I send it in?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
If there is any company that is concerned with keeping your stuff personal and not getting sued over it its probably Apple. Look at Microsofts mess up with the side-kick, Sony PSN network ******* up (Pretty sure that's how they found Bin Laden lol), etc. If you start seeing bogus **** happening then you can go and sue the living hell of out Apple but I doubt that will happen.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I have most of my passwords saved on my phone. I even have a picture of my social security card. I'm freaking out about it! What do you guys think?

We already have all your informa.....

I mean THEY don't have any of your information and wouldn't do anything with it if they did. :D

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Thanks for the responses. I figure they have better things to do than search my email/twitter/texts/pictures, but who knows.

Another question: How long should it take to get it back after I send it in?

I just helped someone who did an out of warranty replacement on a liquid damaged phone via Apple online support. He dropped if off at UPS on Tuesday and had the new phone on Thursday.

What generally happens is you will simply be sent a refurb. They send this out as soon as UPS takes possession of the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.