Should I be worried about the keyboard damaging the screen...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Summer2000, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Summer2000 macrumors member

when the lid is closed?

Will the keys leave an imprint on the screen over time while carrying the laptop in a bag? This happened to a Powerbook my brother had a few years ago.

Anyone experience this or am I just being paranoid and should not worry about it because it will not happen to the MBPs?

Summer2000

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya, i can only tell you my experience.
    I've had my MBP SR 1.3 for about a year now and so far there's been no markings on my display.. my machine has flown around the world with me, it's been in my flight bag, ruck-sack and back-pack... the only thing i got is a couple of scratches on the body film. :)

Perhaps someone can add something?

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you're really worried about it, you could always use a microfiber cloth on the keyboard when it's closed. I use the piece of material that it shipped with, and when that breaks down I'll probably be getting a microfiber cloth. Plus, you could always use the cloth to clean the screen if it gets dirty...

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

5. f1 macrumors 6502

IF your keyboard is damaging your screen that means the stuff in your bag is applying way too much pressure on the LCD panel itself, and that will cause problems such as pressure lines and uneven backlighting.

6. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

if i was an apple designer, I would be ashamed of creating a laptop which damages itself when closed. i seriously doubt this will happen.

7. Summer2000 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

I've had the MBP for 4 days now and I've not taken it out the house yet.

Like skorpien, I do place that shipping film on the keyboard before close the lid when I'm through using the MBP for the day. Sooner or later I'll stop doing that since the keyboard should not damage the screen as you guys stated.

Summer2000

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If it worries that much, buy a 15.4" screen guard for your TFT it's self-adhesive and they come in two forms usually glossy and anti-glare. IF anything should hit the screen regularly, it won't cause damage to the actual TFT, instead the screen guard will take all the knocks... I have one on mine, as a glossy screen every little bit of smudging seems to be visible... I don't worry about wiping the screen, have use anything at hand cause technically i'm not touching the surface of the screen. ;)

9. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I agree with whomever said "don't pack your bag too tight" - To tell you the truth, I'd think that using a cloth could cause more damage if you're already putting pressure on the lid. That would just create more pressure in there.

Buy a padded case and don't stack 10 phonebooks on top!

10. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Here is a CRAZY question... If the keyboard does not damage the screen, then why bother shipping it with a protective sheet there in the first place? things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

11. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

hmmmmmm

I got one of those radtech microfiber I toss in before closing my screen. Not a big deal really.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Having taking my MBP to bits on many occasions, there is about 1~2mm space between the back of the TFT and the clamshell casing... having said that, I think the MBP's keys don't rattle as much as the older PB's did... the Ti's were the worst!!!

13. sniperhunter macrumors newbie

course then the UPS employees might not know to "not put 10 phone books on top of it when they are packing for delivery/transport" these things make you go hmmmmmm.......... :p

bottoms up, its friday. ;)

14. f1 macrumors 6502

When they're being shipped the MacbookPro is placed securely in the box that everyone gets and then that box is shipped in another box.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

16. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

hmmmmmm......

hmmmmmm......

Well, I work at UPS and lets just say that boxes never say Fragile...ever. Nor do they say Do Not Bend, Top Load Only, This Side Up, etc. (if you get what I mean). I have seen cases of wine underneath 120lb. printers and 6ft. long flat boxes (obviously containing posters etc.) bent in half several times. Apple ships the MBP in its box inside of another box just so the beautiful black doesn't get marred up. That second box is not really protecting anything. I am surprised they don't do it with the Mac Pro's...some of those get pretty beat up. The foam on the keyboard is just a little insurance against a 50lb. steel bar from imprinting QWERTY on your screen.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Tell that to HP's designers who like to make keyboards and touch pads that gouge the nice glossy screen *glances over at HP 2660se sitting on his desk*

18. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

it won't damage it by simply being closed. that is the reason for the slight gap when the lid is closed. if you apply pressure to the lid, then it may leave marks.

19. hotdamn macrumors 6502

my old macbook pro definitely had keyboard marks on the screen, sorry to say.

I have never had too much stuff in my backpack with it, but all I am saying is, that it is possible.

20. n8c macrumors member

Both RadTech and ShaggyMac sell microfiber cloths that will prevent scratching in case you are worried. You just set it on the keyboard before closing the computer. No applying adhesives to your computer or any of that crap. I am one of the people who worry, so I bought one. They're only $13 at ShaggyMac.com. I think the RadTech ones are on Amazon.

http://www.shaggymac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4&products_id=72

21. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, this is what I did. I don't want any screen staining. The $10 or whatever gives me peace of mind.

22. StevieMooey macrumors member

My last MBP suffered from the keyboard damaging the screen, leaving a variety of marks that all but ruined it.

Ive just received my beautiful 2.6 Penryn MBP, and have ordered a "Crumpler" microfiber screen protector to be used at all times when closed. Until then, I'll be using that thin piece of foam!

I agree with earlier poster in that it was pressure from things in a bag (bouncing against my hip) the probably caused this damage in my case. Im taking no chances!

-Mooey