Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixzz1

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010
I've lived in Cancun, Mexico for six years. I don't travel to the northern border cities. I do travel to Mexico City. I've never been accosted or threatened in any way. I routinely travel with an iPad or one of several new ThinkPads. If (and it's a big if) someone's been threatened with something as crude as an amputation, they were probably in a very wrong part of town.

The xenophobia, ignorance and stupidity contained in some of the replies to this thread makes me shake my head in wonder. I just watched the 6 PM news carried by the local ABC affiliate in New York City (Dish Network satellite TV). In the half hour newscast there were more deaths reported in one night than we have had in Cancun in 6 months.

Traveling to the Federal District where Mexico City is located is as safe if not safer than travel to New York or London. And you'll find Mexicans friendlier and more courteous than the inhabitants of New York or London as well.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I live in NYC, and one day I saw someone on the subway reading a Kindle (pre-iPad). I didn't know it was one initially because she had a nice cover that made it look like a book. I have since been carrying my iPad in a Vaja case that opens like a book. It's a disguise sort-of, but some people recognize it anyway.

When I was in the Caribbean on a cruise, and we went on land, I opted not to take my large, expensive camcorder.

So in response to the question, if you are concerned enough to even ask, I would think it best not to take it or to disguise it well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.