should i be worried (black screen during startup)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsme1, Jan 15, 2010.

1. itsme1 macrumors newbie

This has been the second time it has done this and im not sure if i should be worried or not. I press the power button, but it stays on a black screen for about 5-6 seconds then finally i get the start up screen. I noticed that it does make the first noise, but doesnt make the second noise while it is on the black screen. When the black screen goes away then it makes that second noise. I also saw that the white light in front of my macbook was still lit when it was on the black screen.I had my MBP for about 6 months now and havent had any problems with it at all. I am hoping this isnt anything bad. Any input on this or anyone else experience this?

2. cmaier macrumors G4

Could be nothing. Could be graphics chip issues. Does the symptom change if you switch between integrated and discrete graphics?

3. itsme1 thread starter macrumors newbie

its only happened when turning it on. Other than that i have not had any issues with it. I was googling it what I could be and I was thinking the logic board might be going bad. That is why i started getting worried about this issue.

4. cmaier macrumors G4

It could be the logic board - i had similar symptoms when my nvidia chip went bad, but it took about a year before the screen finally stayed completely black and I had to take it in for a mainboard replacement.

5. itsme1 thread starter macrumors newbie

should i just wait it out till it completely dies on me? how long did it take for them to fix it?

6. cmaier macrumors G4

In my case I brought it to the genius bar on day 1 and I received it back on day 3. Your mileage may vary.

They have a test they can do to detect if it's the nvidia problem, so you might want to stop by when you have free time and have them at least take a look.

7. itsme1 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright ill probably go get it checked out this week. Thanks.

8. macgirl89 macrumors member

Mine does that exact same thing; in fact, it did it this morning when I turned it on. I've had mine for about five months and it only does this about once a month. I briefly explained this issue in a thread and some others said that it happened to them, too, and that it happens after the computer does an update. Not really sure if that's true or not or what exactly this is, but I've had no problems at all with this computer and I'm not gonna take it in until it gets to be a problem (if it even does).

9. itsme1 thread starter macrumors newbie

so yours on does it when powering it on then? it would be nice if you supply the link to your thread. thanks