Should I be worried? (eBay deal)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upsguy27, Dec 26, 2008.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I just ordered a 8800GT off ebay for my new Mac Pro (was going to flash it with PC ROM), and since the person selling it lives near me, I chose local pickup. I went to the address they gave from the phone number eBay gave me (they never responded to my questions - strike one) and when I got there, it was just a neighborhood. No one I asked had heard of the person I was talking about. I went to the right intersection given by the phone number, and from the number they sound like a business - complete with "To -blahblahblah-, press 1". I tried talking to "Technical Support" and "Sales Associates" and both times it said all representatives were helping someone. I called back multiple times, even 5 minutes before they "closed", and it always said the same thing. Here is the auction link if anyone's interested. Should I be worried? I should have learned my lesson and never use eBay again, but they were close to me.

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Aren't you the guy that received a damaged Mac Pro from eBay?

Some people never learn...

3. six.four macrumors 6502

where's the link?

honestly.. sounds shady.

if you choose pickup - you should NEVER pay before receiving the merchandise.

You have ZERO protection against fraud if you do pickup and pay in advance. Paypal will not be able to help you because you chose pickup - and there is no way to verify if you picked it up or not.

4. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I know, it was a good deal though... :(

Here's the link. Good to know that, they seemed okay as they have bought multiple things in the past few weeks with good feedback...

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Looks legit man, I think you're okay.... this time.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....are you sure it is not just a matter of it being Christmas weekend and people may not be available? Did you have arrangements to pickup at a certain time and there was nobody there or did you just show up without notice....oh yeah!

7. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yeah, but the thing is, they're just houses, no one has ever heard of the person/company I asked about in that neighborhood, plus the fact that their phone automated voice thing makes it sound like it's an office/retail, complete with extensions, different departments, and office hours. Really, what home has different extensions and multiple employees?

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....you'd be surprised (or maybe not) at how many eBay "businesses" are just a few people sitting in the basement of a house somewhere - it's certainly not unheard of. Not all businesses run from the standard storefront on the street. I'm not saying it is a scam or that it's not - but if it is legit they may just be away for the holidays....oh yeah!

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

It would sound more convincing without the "Duff-Man says...oh yeah!"

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....hmmm, not what I would have expected from a user named "iVeBeenDrinkin'"....oh yeah! ;)

11. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I got this bridge in brooklyn.... Sorry couldn't help it, hope you get it worked out. On another note maybe you should stay away from eBay for a while, doesn't seem to be workin out to well.

12. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I ain't been drinkin' duff beer, that's for sure