Should I be worried?? it has not even been a week yet!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ronmaverick88, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ronmaverick88 macrumors member

[​IMG]

That is the photo i took while using the program Battery Health Monitor. Today I noticed my Mac Book Pro seemed to stall at 98% when charging and the orange light would not appear on the cord but the computer was showing it as plugged in. I restarted my computer several times and replaced the batter but its still doing it.. I just got my Mac Book Pro last week and already I've lost a percentage. I just got this Mac June 27, 2008. I will admit I've worked it pretty much non stop. I usually don't leave it plugged in all the time I let it drain, but I've never let it drained to the point it wont restart yet. Should I do that? Should I start to just take the battery out and use the adapter when I want to have it in the wall?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

capacity will rarely reach 100% - generally 98/99% so thats normal

i take the battery out, mainly because osx scales down the cpu when this happens so the mbp runs cooler, and quieter

read this

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

One question: why did you buy a MacBook Pro at all if you are contempt with a machine running at 50% of its potential?

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

because generally i dont need 2 2.4GHz cores to run safari, mail and eyeTV
    but at university (in 3 months - studying architecture), i will be doing CAD rendering so need the power of the CPU/GPU

5. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not as techy when it comes to Mac as you guys are sadly, so I have no idea still what this means.:confused:

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

well, ignore the posts above

a battery will rarely reach 100% capacity
    what you need to watch out for is charge. this will reduce as the mac is used - and this is true for all li-ion batteries. if the charge is less than 80% in one year, you can get a free replacement

basically, all is fine

also, i would recommend coconutBattery rather than battery healt monitor, it seems simpler to understand
    http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

7. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

Do you mean the "Current Capacity" instead? Also to get a free one would that be under the FREE 1 year warranty also? I won't be able to buy the extended warrenty until next week :eek:

8. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

Also when you guys drain your battery do you let it go completly out or what because mines has been into sleep mode for a while but still says 0%. That program told me my Mac was made 8 weeks ago

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Get rid of the battery health monitor. Quit paying so much attention.
    Leave your MBP plugged in.
    Drain the battery and recharge it once in a while if you think of it.
    Use your MBP and stop worrying.
    That's what I've done for the last few years, and I've NEVER had a battery issue.

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

yes, sorry. i mean current capacity
    oh sorry, again, its not within a year, its 300 discharge cycles

from apple website:
    Battery Lifespan
    A properly maintained Apple notebook battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 300 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

if you go to a store and rant a bit and claim it no longer meets your needs they should give a free replacement, inside the 1 year warranty

roughly every month i drain mine, take the battery out for a few hours, and then put it back in to fully charge, it just makes the capacity more accurate

11. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

ok here is a update 8 months later. Is this good/normal/bad?

[​IMG]

12. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Apple's benchmark is 80% health, for 300 cycles. Seeing that 81%, at 308, I'd say you're doing fine.