Should I Be worried MBP when charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marioblackman23, May 21, 2008.

1. marioblackman23 macrumors member

recently, i experienced an issue with my refurb mbp. after running on battery until the warning signal came on i plugged in my adaptor and continued to use it. shortly after i began to hear the speed of the fans kicking up, checked istat and saw that they had reached 5500 rpm i quickly shut down my computer then rebooted only to experience the same problem i then pulled out the ac adapter and the fan speed reduced to the usual 2000 rpm when the battery is fully charged there is no problem.
    My question is should i allow my mbp to run like this until it stops?
    Does turning off the computer and allowing it to charge damage the computer as it would get to the same heat without anything cooling it down?
    Does this happen to anyone else?

2. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

Maybe you should look into placing your MBP on a cooling pad. Also, smcFanControl will allow you to adjust your MBP fan speed.

- Mason

3. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I wouldnt' worry about it. I think I've experienced something similar. The difference between charging on and charging off is when charing while on you're also using power to run the computer. Charing while it's off means you're only using power to charge the battery, so less heat. I know sometimes when the fans come on it's a little surprising and it can be worrying, but it's fine, the fans are there for that express purpose, and there's no need to worry that they're doing their job. Let them keep your computer cool, and keep working on it if you want.

4. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

What temperatures does iStat show on yours? The CPU and GPU on my MBP are usually around 180°F.

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Yes I won't worry about the fan speed. Monitor your cpu and gpu temperatures, and as long as they are within spec temperatures, then everything should be ok.