Should i be worried? (New Macbook, mega safe light dim at times)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by al82, Oct 28, 2008.

1. al82 macrumors regular

I have one of the new 2.4 macbooks.

The mega safe light sometimes appears to be very dim to the point you can hardly tell the light is on.

The problem is easily fixed with taking it out and slipping it back in.

However i read a few articles on google and people who have this problem in the past have had to get their actual macs replaced as there is a problem with the board.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?
    What does a dim green light on the mega safe charger mean?

SORRY I MEANR MAGSAFE IN THE TITLE

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

its MagSafe btw and sorry i cant help

(atleast i think thats what ur talkin about :S)

3. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

4. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Out of the 3 Macbooks and 1 Macbook Air that I had/have, I never saw the magsafe light dimmed. It's not supposed to, take it back.

5. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I think i will take it back and swap it.

Anyone else had this issue?

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The magsafe light on my new 2.4 MB was intermittent. The Genius said it was a short in the LED itself. He replaced it and the new one works fine.

7. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok, i kind of got worried as most posts when searching google say that when the magsafe light is dim green it doesn't charge the battery and the logic board needs replacing.

Im going to call apple store tomorrow as they have no appointments till after my initial 14 day exchange period is over.

8. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Mine's doing this as well. I can see it is a very dim green, however, the laptop is charging right now. It's done this once before. I just got my laptop back yesterday after repair. It did this before and after my repair, so it is not something the repair did. Does anyone know if I should be worried? The cord looks perfect and is not really hot or anything out of the ordinary.

9. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Sounds like it's probably on the connector attached to the power supply. I highly doubt it's your logic board.

10. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I'm kind of thinking it's a software glitch... I can unplug the brick from the outlet and plug it back in and it goes to normal, so it's not from me moving it... Anyway... everything is currently working, and I sure don't want to send my laptop off again :mad:... This would be the 3rd time this fall.

11. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Okay... since this post I've had it happen numerous times (including right now). I think this is the second time today and I plan on calling Apple tomorrow about it. My trackpad is still really glitchy and now the MagSafe problem. This is after having the laptop back for less than a week after its voyage to Houston, TX to get a fan replaced. This is totally unacceptable. If they say I need to send it in, this will be the third time in the past two months. All just weird little quirks like hard drive failure, fan failure, trackpad problems, iSight camera dying, and now MagSafe... I'm fairly unhappy with Apple's quality right now. They say after three major hardware failures that I am qualified for a replacement laptop... What about a lot of small hardware failures? I also don't see how losing all my data because my hard drive failed to work is not minor. I did have a backup, but only Macs can read the backup :mad: I think it is also bad that their customer service isn't 24/7...

12. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Well I called Apple today and they said that the LED not working properly is just a cosmetic issue and that doesn't warrant a replacement (mind this is only a 5 month old laptop). I also asked about a system replacement since my trackpad is still messed up and the new MagSafe problem. I'm supposed to get a call back from CR later today to see what I can do. It's either a replacement or a repair. I'm in college and cannot afford to go without my laptop anymore. I already have enough bad grades from my previous break downs.

I love Apple to death... but I wish they could make a working laptop for me. I didn't spend $2800 on a laptop to have constant problems and headaches with it. For a $2800 laptop, I expect this thing to be perfect and work flawlessly for at least 2 years. So far, I haven't made it 3 months.