Should I be worried or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by big_malk, May 5, 2008.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

Last night I tried to order a UPS from here, but had some trouble with my credit card authorisation. Finally it got authorised, but it didn't show up on my recent transactions on the website as paid, I checked with the bank and the payment was definitely authorised, but the website doesn't seem to agree.

I'v tried calling them all day, but their phone system doesn't seem to be working, and as yet they haven't answered my email. I think it's only fair to give them at least a full day to match up my payment and get back to be, but I've never heard of this site before, so I'm a little wary about it.

Has anyone else had any dealings with buytech.co.uk who could put my mind at rest?

Thanks

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Here's their whois:

Domain name:
    buytech.co.uk

Registrant:
    JSR UK LTD

Registrant type:
    UK Limited Company, (Company number: 4788001)

Registrant's address:
    Unit 3 Pool Hay Lane
    Southport
    Merseyside
    PR8 5LD
    GB

Registrar:
    Claranet Limited [Tag = CLARANET]
    URL: http://www.uk.clara.net

Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 09-Jan-2006
    Renewal date: 09-Jan-2010
    Last updated: 11-Oct-2007

Registration status:
    Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
    ns1.clara.net
    ns2.clara.net

WHOIS lookup made at 02:20:45 06-May-2008

Worst comes to worst, you can protest the charge with the cc company.

3. JunBug119 macrumors 6502

the website seems pretty secure. sometimes it takes a couple of days for websites to update status even when your card has been charged the same day. and some places don't give you status until they actually give you a shipping confirmation/information. the good thing is that you paid with your credit card so you can always dispute the charges.

4. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well they got back to me and said their system declined the payment due to a typo and my payment address not matching. So I've been invited to order again and they'll speed my order through.

I called the bank (several times actually) and they have issued two authorisation codes for the payment so far, and I am at the mercy of the company to claim the payments or not!

It all seems legitimate, but verging on suspicious, and it's turning out to be the most troubles some and convoluted online order ever!

5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Hm. Seems the error was on your end. I don't see anything suspicious here, but I can see why you're nervous. A lot of internet only companies are smallish, and not so great on phone support, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't legit. I hope it works out for you, but if not, your bank should protect you. :)

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Remember, authorisations don't mean you have been charged. It is typical for a merchant to authorise an amount first, primarily to check that the card can actually be charged and also to verify your address and card security code, and then complete the authorisation at a later time/date when goods are dispatched or services are provided.

Authorisations that aren't completed 'drop off' your card in about a week, and your available credit returns to what it was before. The transaction never appears on your statement.

7. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it all does seem fine now, I'd never looked into card payments being authorised but not charged before, so when the bank said there was two payment authorised, and the company said there wasn't... I did get a little worried at first lol

But, I got the payments 'dropped off' my card early (although the company could still claim the authorised payments) but my credit is freed up again. So I've re-ordered, it should be delivered tomorrow, and then all will be well :)

This company does certainly seem to be smallish and not having all the kinks ironed out their system, but I'm all for supporting the little guys :)

8. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

My UPS arrived this morning, as it said it would in the email. :)

So buytech.co.uk is a trustworthy company (just don't make mistakes when you order, it'll confuse you), and I am officially just paranoid over cautious :)

9. J400uk macrumors regular

I am furious with this company, ordered 2 items from them and only one turned up, what the hell is that about !?!? :mad:

They are impossible to get in touch with, no answers to the phone or email, utterly disgraceful service.

PayPal are refusing to help, and same with the credit card company as the purchase was belore £100

My advice - Avoid at all costs.