Should I be worried? (Purchased a refurb 2016 tbMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Callander, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Callander macrumors member

Callander

I purchased a 15" Space Gray MacBook Pro 2016 refurb and just found out about the keyboard issues.

Should I just cut my worry out, return and then spend the extra $500 for a new one?

Or

Get AppleCare or just wait it out?

2. jrasero macrumors regular

I wouldn't be worried. Apparently the issues continue in the 2017 models, but not everyone is effected.

I just got a 2017 MBP 13" Non TB and I was really worried about this. My laptop doesn't have any non functioning keys but it does have the problem that some keys (on the left side) like the "Q" key are louder (more click). I have found this to be the case when the computer is cool or hot. Now I am not too worried, since I can deal with a little extra noise, but I am more concerned about failing or malfunctioning keys

Why I wouldn't worry is that you still can return the computer. If the keyboard does malfunction you can send it for repair under warranty. If you do keep it I would invest the extra $500 you would have spent on a new model on Applecare.

However not to confuse your decision more but the 2017 models are showing nice performance bumps with Kaby Lake.

On a side note I was coming from a 2012 MBA and while I am still getting use to the keyboard I am starting to enjoy the clicking short travel. If you tend to really pound your keyboard it might feel like you are typing on concrete but if you are of a more light tap person, you will be able to glide through every input.

3. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

The Butterfly 1 mechanism in the 12" MacBook had the problem were the keys would sometimes get stuck and those problem continued to exist in the newer Butterly 2 found in the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro and 2017 MacBook. The B2 version is much better though, so the already pretty small chance of the keys getting stuck just got smaller.

There's also no real difference between the 2016 keyboard and the 2017, nothing has been mentioned about any changes as far as I know.

4. Callander thread starter macrumors member

Callander

I don't mind the "different" volumes of keys.. just worried about keys not working later, from a manufacture issue and not my fault.

Considering I mostly utilize this system for Web UI/UX Design.. I wouldn't benefit from the Kaby Lake bump.

It's a good idea to AppleCare invest since I'd be spending close to that price on upgrading.

I'm a heavy typer but I love the feeling of the new keys.. I'm such an avid mechanical keyboard user that these new switches feel as close to mechanical as possible.

Thank you for the insight and help!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2017 ---
    Awesome! So I'll just keep using this.. saved a good amount of money that I'll put towards AppleCare and hope for the best.. It's a best of a system so far and the keyboard, although has been weird at first.. I'm typing better and faster than ever! It's almost like I'm on my 60% mechanic keyboard again.

Thanks for the advice/help/info!

5. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Glad to hear. If any key ever gets stuck, use a vacuum cleaner. Worked for my old 12" :D

6. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Don't want to jinx anything but judging from what I read, people mostly have issues straight away. If your keyboard works fine, it will probably continue to do so. And most MBPs have no issues at all (forums attract those who do have issues and these people are usually - and rightfully - emotional and biased, so don't judge a product by reading about it on a forum).

I had my 2016 MBP for 7 months without keyboard issues.
    NO! Don't use a vacuum cleaner because they can cause static electricity that can damage your computer. Never use a vacuum cleaner. If you want to clean the keyboard - use canned compressed air. This is also the method recommended by Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662
    Not noticeable in real life on the 15" model from everything I read. The 13" is a bit more affected. And I don't say that because I'm biased or anything, I just would never recommend an upgrade based on CPU alone (my 2016 is quite a bit faster than my 2013 MBP, and I only notice it in a bit shorter Keyshot rendering). Benchmarks are really not indicative of real world performance. Your recommendation of investing into AppleCare instead seems like a better choice to me.

7. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

That's a lot safer, you're right. The tip of the vacuum cleaner can contain static electricity, but that doesn't necessarily mean it destroys the MacBook right away. Still, better safe than sorry.