Should I be worried? (Warning Message in Browser)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kerotab, Sep 18, 2007.

1. kerotab macrumors member

kerotab

I got this error message this morning (see image) while trying to load a video from cnet.com. when I came back home from work this afternoon it still showed it and wouldn't let me connect online (even though I had full bars on my airport signal)

It says something about a "blaster" type virus. What is that? Is that a PC thing or should I be worried too? I thought Macs don't get viruses. I checked off the box at the bottom and haven't seen the that warning message since. I'm able to use the internet not, but still...should I be concerned?

Attached Files:

2. mad cow disease macrumors member

Misconception #1: Macs don't get viruses.
    Misconception #2: Macs don't get viruses.
    Misconception #3: read misconception #1.

Looks like your account was flagged by your ISP for some reason. Perhaps you've been doing a lot of downloading lately, or if your network isn't secured somebody may be piggybacking on your wireless signal. Doubtful you've been infected by the blaster worm, which as you suggested is a PC virus.

Seriously, though, Macs CAN get viruses. They did fifteen years ago and still can (and possibly do) today. I've never been struck by a virus, but then I don't open every single attachment that I get in my email.

3. kerotab thread starter macrumors member

kerotab

that's what I thought. I always have several tabs open with firefox so that's probably why I got that message. I don't think anyone else is using my wireless. I've got WPA encription now and I can view (through the home portal) which computers have been using my network.

such a sigh of relief! thanks!