Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Casey01, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

When ever I run Aperture 3 and start doing things such as retouching, dodging, burning, skin smoothing, and other brushes, the temp. goes up to anywhere from 80 Degrees Celsius to 92 Degrees Celsius and the fans kick up to about 4000RPM - 5200RPM.

Should I be worried?
    Will having my fans run this fast shorten there life?
    How long would they last if this keeps persisting? (I just replaced a few months ago.)

2. rainking macrumors regular

It's fine. Nothing to worry about.

3. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, it's just the noise. It sounds as if something going to go wrong soon.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Nothing is wrong, that's just what your computer does when it heats up, and anything that uses a lot of CPU will do that.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

macs have excellent heat management. Do not alter there performance by using fan controllers

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd definitely have to disagree with that. The fans don't kick in until the computer gets really hot, which isn't a good thing. I use Fan Control, which makes a smooth curve for fan speeds. That way the fan speed is matched to the temperature all the way to the max, and it will heat up more slowly. I find that considerably less obnoxious if I'm doing something like watching a youtube video. It gradually speeds up, doesn't get as hot, and therefore doesn't get as loud.

7. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

Do tell what App you use?

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's just called Fan Control. I switched from smcFanControl and I like it a lot better.

9. rainking macrumors regular

My fan kicks in immediatley after I start handbrake. At least for me, it doesn't wait before it is hot to kick the fans on to high gear.

10. tears2040 macrumors 6502

I 100% disagree with you.... Ever since Snow Leopard the system OS knows exactly when to launch the fans. using software control software can ultimately damage your computer more than help.

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not sure how it can damage it, in fact, most of the time, my fan is running at 1500 RPM (500 less than the stock minimum). In any case, my computer normally would wait until the CPU hit 165F before the fans would get above 3500 RPM or so. Might just be older firmware, as I have a 2008 aluminum MacBook running updated SL.

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

if it doesnt make a noise when doing heavy photoshop stuff, then ur compuer will blow up

13. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

How so? You only risk wearing out the bearing on your fan (which even with excessive fan use won't happen during the lifetime of your computer) in exchange for lower temperatures, which will extend the life your computer by years.

OSX isn't magic ;)

14. tears2040 macrumors 6502

???

What are you talking about???

Like I said once again for the hard headed, ever since Snow Leopard the System OS knows when turn on/off the fans. I use to use Smc fan control and other software, but after day and night reading it is no longer needed.

Kind of like your Android phones and people using task killer.