Should I be worry about virus in my mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by exdeveloper, Feb 17, 2015.

1. exdeveloper macrumors newbie

This morning I was on Yahoo homepage and was about to type in a URL address and all of a sudden I was redirected to a screen with warnings about my computer being infected with spyware. It asked me to call 877-913-7847
    It threatened that my credit card and password information was at risk.
    I could not do anything on my computer, not even force quit. I finally pressed the button and turned off the laptop. After I turn it back on everything seems normal. It is scary that whatever this spam screen is could control my computer and I could not do anything. Is my computer infected in any way? Please help. Thanks.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Go to AdwareMedic.com and run the program. If you have any adware on your Mac, (and it sounds like you do) it should help you get rid of it.

You don't have a virus on your Mac.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No OS X viruses exist in the wild. It's just an obnoxious advertisement. No website can arbitrarily scan your computer for malware.

Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac
    Adware can be removed by using this tool: AdwareMedic

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

4. exdeveloper thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not called 877-913-7847 as posted on that threat. I googled the number and apparently some other people that have the same problem called.

One post said, "Also the same pop up and cheap voice message saying it was at risk I was hung up on then I called back and I got another Indian person( no offense just happened back to back) he was telling me I was doing something wrong on my computer and I had just turned it on and he persisted. Then he was ok I can fix your "lap top" I never told him that I was on a lap top "WEIRD" but I let it go then he proceeded to tell me he also needs to go through my "XBOX" I never told him I had any gaming systems that's scary an he couldn't tell the company he worked for!!!"

Thanks for all your help. I feel better now. Since they were able to hijack my computer I was afraid they could put some malware there.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

They didn't hijack your computer. It was an internet advert with malicious intent. Nothing more.