Should I bite the bullet? refurb macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pippin, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Pippin macrumors newbie

Hi, I am starting college in the fall. I saw Apple has refurbished previous-gen 2.2GHz 1GB white Macbooks for $999. I only use my computer for internet surfing, email, Word/Excel, iTunes, and some light Photoshop use (nothing major, just basic photo editing). No gaming or video editing.

My question is this. Do you think I should go for the refurb Macbook now since it's so cheap? Based on my computer usage, do you think it would last me for all 4 years of college? And should I hit up OWC to upgrade RAM or is 1GB enough for what I do?

Thanks for the input!

2. McGiord, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Always max your Mac RAM.
    Go for the one you can afford.
    You can always sell it whenever you want to get a better one.
    ________
    vaporizer reviews

3. Peteybiz02 macrumors member

What is it with everyone saying "bite the bullet" and "bite the dust" lately?? haha. Anyways, yes that sounds fine for what you do, and as the above poster mentioned, maxing out the RAM is really cheap anyways so I'd recommend it. GO FOR IT!

4. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

I guess many of say that cause we blew our wad on it and we couldn't wait any longer. Not to mention passing up such a GREAT Deal! ;)

5. Peteybiz02 macrumors member

:rolleyes: too much information...

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

7. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

I would say some peoples mind are in the gutter!--))) It's obvious blew my wad refers to MONEY--))) Not everyone speaks with perfect english here.

For example: How many posts here, when a person misspeaks, or makes an error, they comment oh sorry "my bad"!

Now some may say that's funky!--)))
    :)

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It's an excellent deal on a great laptop. It'll serve you well in all your needs too so you wouldn't be wasting any money.

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

10. Sage Harupyuia macrumors member

your Mac will serve you well. (although personally, i dont like refurbs because you can never predict the amount of life left in the so-called non-moving parts of the laptop, like the mobo, the processor, etc etc For all you know, the chips could be so old they may just die after 3 years or even earlier.)

For Excel, however, if you are going to use Solver or any other function which requires Basic, forget about getting Office 2008 for Mac.

11. macflurry macrumors member

I wondered the same thing last year before I started college. I waited until august and bought the latest refurb they had to offer. I think you should wait until the latest you can and see if the SA/X3100 macbooks get the refurb treatment by then.