Should I bother getting Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gpickett00, Feb 12, 2008.

1. gpickett00 macrumors newbie

gpickett00

Should I bother upgrading to Leopard? I currently use a macbook core duo, the first macbook but I don't see much incentive to pay to upgrade. I dont even really see incentive to illegally download it. Should I bother upgrading?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think you should buy it, along with a gig of RAM so it runs smoothly.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

You don't have to upgrade. I won't change to Leopard until either one of the apps I use changes to Leopard only and I have to have the latest version or if some completely essential new app for leopard only appears.

Or, of course, if I buy a new Mac...

4. thesdx macrumors 6502a

It all depends on what you use your Mac for. If you don't think you need it, then don't buy it. If you get it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without Quick Look and Spaces. :D

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

6. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Leopard has only been my first experience with OS X, but I couldn't get by without Spaces - having multiple desktops is a *huge* time saver and lets you get more stuff done sooner. (I'm used to virtual desktops on Linux, so this was a very nice feature...and Windows didn't have a feature like this built in - you have to go 3rd party for that.)

I haven't actually used Time Machine yet, because I'm waiting for my terrabyte drive to come in. Once it gets here, instant backup, literally "set it and forget it" :)

Leopard's definitely worth an upgrade!

-Bryan

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

1. Leopard will run better on your Intel because there's been lots of optimizations made for Intel.

2. I would def, max out your ram because ram is CHEAP, and even if you don't get Leopard, it's still worth doing.

3. Spaces is awesome.

4. Stacks is awesome.

5. TimeMachine is awesome.

6. Leopard's updated Mail.app is awesome.

7. Safari is faster, and thus more awesome.

8. Certain programs (such as CS3 if you use it) are built more for leopard/intel macs. (sorry I don't know how to work in the word awesome here...oh wait just did)

9. Networking is easier than ever in leopard, it's awesome too.

10. Leopard is a wonderful upgrade, 10.5.2 solidifies it a bunch and now would be a good time to get it because IT'S AWESOME.

Do not shy away from Awesomeness.

8. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

No you shouldn't buy it.

Because right now you don't see the need for it. Why spend $100 for something you don't really need. I have Leopard and I like it, but that was because I liked the Time Machene option and I was always months/years behind in backups and one bad drive crash could be expensive, the drive+the value of the data. But if you are not going to use the new features or you don't care about them. Don't upgrade. You may want to consider upgrading when 10.6 comes out just because most application will probably no longer work with 10.4, but at that time you may want a new System too. I am not sure why you bothered the question. You are saying I don't want the product and I want you people to advertise it to me, until I do. Why don't you stay on 10.4 and give $100 to a charity. It will probably be better use for your money, then getting an OS with features that you will not really use, and being that you are probalby going to keep an eye out for problems you will not be happy with it.

9. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12