Should I bother to learn FCS with the new FCX coming soon?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by drexl5, May 4, 2011.

1. drexl5 macrumors member

I have FCS 3 (it came with my iMac that I bought on eBay) and I was wondering if it was worth the time to learn to use it using online tutorials on YouTube and other sites. Now I'm just a hobby video editor (I'm 18) that might go to college for video editing. I ask if it's worth it because the new final cut will be out in a couple of months. Should I concentrate learning other parts of FCS like color and motion? Will learning Final Cut even help using the new one? By the way I'm coming from editing on Windows using Sony Vegas

2. jwheeler macrumors regular

I been expecting you, Question!

Edit: I'm gunna guess at other's answers and say that it's worth learning any normal NLE editor. Because your future jobs may not have the new FCPX. And if FCPX turns out to run like a normal NLE, then all is good.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

Hold off...

Yes dont learn anything just yet ;)
    Im kidding of course.
    I teach FCP at local college.
    I went thru the same thing with my students that just started their night course.
    Its your call if you think you dont need to learn FCP now.
    Ive been giving my students an inside look at what might be.
    But I also gear my course outline to teach NLE across Avid. Premiere and even Vegas.
    This way they dont have to stay with FCP.

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

NLE programs share many common interface and workflow principles. Much of what you learn using Final Cut Express will apply to using other editing programs. This is especially true for FCE going into FCP7, as the interface is nearly the same. The new FCP X, while being chock full of new features and and a complete interface overhaul, it will still maintain many of the same behaviors that were present in FCP7.

Editing in and of itself is also a skill that needs to be learned, regardless of your knowledge of editing programs. Don't wait for a new program to drop, especially if you already have FCE. Start learning now.

5. ryanvalle macrumors member

I say you do. Learn Final Cut Studio not as an application, but as a tool to tell a story. Being an editor is not about knowing Final Cut or Avid or Premiere - it's about being able to tell a story in a visual medium.

So learn the software not to learn about what shortcuts to use or where the various functions are, but instaed to practice taking visual elements - scripted or non scripted - and putting it together to tell a great story. That is my advice.

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I say yes,

I don't know what other software you have used but just by learning FCP you will pick up terminology and the basics of editing.

I have recently started learning AVID at Uni and having a strong FCP background has helped me as I am able to ask questions know that I can do certain things in FC and know that they will probably be available in AVID. This is much better than just going in dark and not knowing anything.

Most NLEs have the same tools they just implement them in different ways with some being faster and some being slower.

Most of the terminology is the same therefore it would be good to get in and learn FCS as you will be using the same tools they will probably just be a little easier to access and in a slightly different place. From what I have heard so far they have not removed any of the functionality of FCP7 therefore you can hopefully expect everything to travel across to the new version!