Should I bother upgrading the harddrive on the macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hissori, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Hissori macrumors member

I'm new to this forum. Hi! Anyway, I'm basically a fulltime laptop user since my desktop died, and looking to buy a new macbook. I wanted to fully upgrade the macbook since this will be my computer that should last me for at least 3 years. I've heard that I should not upgrade the ram from the apple store as it is overpriced and you can find cheap ram elsewhere. What about the harddrive? I want to upgrade the 250 to a 320gb harddrive. Would it be cheaper to invest in a different harddrive and manually install it or should I go with the apple upgrade? Not sure if its even possible to upgrade the harddrive on my own (I'm not much of a computer literate person when it comes to opening up computers) Thanks!

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Same goes for the HD, especially now that it's user-replaceable... it's now literally like replacing a battery. I just ordered a Seagate 7200 RPM 320GB HD for $97 shipped from Tiger Direct to use in my new MBP. I'll keep the original HD around in case I need to bring the laptop in for service (perish the thought!) but mostly to put back in when I eventually sell the computer. That way I don't have to worry about someone pirating my data or spend hours triple zeroing it out.

3. nightwolf macrumors member

nightwolf

Its worth it - and then some

I upgraded for a 320 gid hd and maxed out my ram. After two years with my macbook pro and only seeing incremental speed increases on programs that I use (Adobe psd etc). It was well worth it and will use the puter for another two years for sure. Seems a lil speedy with the addition of ram.
    :)

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This is definitely a good idea. For the same price as the Apple upgrade you get a 7200RPM hard drive instead. Plus for $11 you can get an external USB 2.0 enclosure for the 250GB you will be removing to use for backups:D
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817193044