Should I bother with the extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tysontabs, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tysontabs macrumors member

Hi, I would like to know if most people went ahead with buying Apple's three-year extended warranty for their mac product or, did they decide that it was a cash grab and decline.

Can you please write me with what you did and why you accepted or declined the $200 warranty?

Thanks

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I didn't get it, and I never will. However, if this thread is like most, it'll be filled with folks telling you to get it. These same people will then travel to other threads and talk about how Macs last longer and retain greater values than PCs, without mentioning Applecare.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Desktop machine or portable?

Desktop, unlikely to be needed, portable, definitely get it.

4. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

I agree. As a rule, I never buy extended warranties. I did buy AppleCare for my Macbook, though, and I'm glad I did. Since the default one-year warranty period expired, I've had the battery, superdrive, and top case replaced. My girlfriend had her Macbook's battery and top case replaced. In both cases, AppleCare was well worth it, not only monetarily, but also in terms of hassle. I dropped my computer off at the 5th Ave Apple Store Saturday morning and got it back with a new Superdrive eight hours later.

5. mr.light macrumors 6502

I have never purchased Applecare in the past and I have never needed it. I am in the market for a MBP but I don't think I will buy Applecare for it either. If there are going to be problems they will most likely show up within the first year... I hope.

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

For me, I will always purchase the Apple Care as my American Express card extends (mirrors) the Apple warranty by one year.

3 Years through Apple, plus one from American Express = 4 Years. If it's more expensive to fix it then what I paid, they give me my money back. Just used this feature on my Samsung LCD TV that took a crap.

Let's hope in four years I will be ready for an upgrade.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

depends on your financial situation......would having to pay for a repair be more of a burden than continually buying warranty extensions that you don't use? "Most" people will not have to have major repairs done in the 2nd and 3rd year, but "some" definitely will. It's all about how much risk you feel comfortable with.

So do ya feel lucky? or unlucky?

8. tysontabs thread starter macrumors member

It will be an iMac 24" (the new one) and it won't be leaving the table it will be placed on for the entire life of the apple.

I know it would be a great benefit to have but, right now I'm interested in putting that money towards food and gas for the car!:p

On a MBP or MB it would be an essential

Tabs

9. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I just bought a macbook and got the applecare, because laptop seem to be prone to more problems than other computers.

That being said determine how long you want to keep the computer and if the added insurance is worth it.

I personally would get it because its a small price for long coverage on a machine that they have not gotten all the kinks out of yet. But on the other side I purchased a G5 powermac and have no need for any service or problems.

10. Drungo macrumors newbie

I will be buying the new Imac 20' 2.4 GHz within the next 2 weeks. Im buying the applecare plan.

The fact that my entire computer will be built into the display, is a concern. Macs pretty much live forever but If something happens to the screen or the computer, its not an easy fix. Watch videos on Youtube of the guy showing you his bills, what he would have payed if he didn't buy the applecare. His is the macbook but still. I can see some pixels going out on the screen later on down the road. 170 dollars for my applecare plan is well worth it. For three years? Its a no brainer for me.

My two cents.

Take care

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I bought Applecare on my iMac and MBP. I view it like car or home insurance, hopefully I'll never have to use it, but its nice knowing that I have it just in case something happens.