Should I bring my macbook back?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hyper_X, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Hyper_X macrumors newbie

So I bought a macbook pro 13" 1 month ago and now I'm not sure if something is wrong with it or not.

1. It gets really hot while rendering. <80c every time.
    I replaced thermal paste and checked the vents/fan. Everything seems to be fine. Ran apple hardware test - everything also seem to be fine. Reset SCM - nothing changed. I use SMC fan control app to manually set my fan for higher rpm - else it reaches 100c easily. (But it never shuts itself down)

2. Few hours after replacing thermal paste I noticed that something near the left usb port makes high pitch noise while I move the mouse. If it would be the first time I could say it's strange but it's the exact same thing my old thinkpad's "power saving module" does while using it on battery. Just on macbook there is no mater is it charging or on battery, the noise still exists while the mouse is plugged in. (I tested the mouse with the other pc and it works fine). I tried plugging other usb gadgets, but nothing similar happens, also I don't have a second mouse to test now. Now then the mouse is unplugged there is no high-pitch noise anymore, but other, silenter "rattling" noise appears and there is no moving parts in this machine at all!

(I have a lot of experience with pc hardware and I have all the professional tools for fixing it, I used antistatic wrist band while changing the thermal paste and there is no possibility that any damage inside could have been done by me)

What should I do at this point? Try to fix it myself and risk voiding warranty or taking it to apple store and trying to explain everything to them? (It should be quite a challenge since the high-pitch noise is hard to hear at day, but really annoying at night time. +The machine doesn't seems to turn itself off even after reaching 105c degrees by istats readings)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. That's a perfectly normal and acceptable temp. Mobile silicon will reach upwards of 100C with no ill effects and will start throttling by about 105C. You should've left things as is. I'm not sure what's the bother here? Your computer can take care of itself better than you can, leave SMC fan control alone.

2. You may have knocked something loose, the logicboard is grounded to the chassis using a small prong, perhaps it's rattling a bit.

3. Hyper_X thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if I'm not going to change my fan speed it will set my table on fire. I didn't touch anything except the radiator, but where exactly is that small prong for the record?

4. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the warranty is already voided

5. Hyper_X thread starter macrumors newbie

Theoretically yes, but practically - no.

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

The warranty is not void unless he broke something.

7. Hyper_X thread starter macrumors newbie

So how about that ground thingy someone mentioned? I can't find anything useful about mac grounding in google.