Should I bring my phone in to be looked at?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mattbull, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Mattbull macrumors member

Ok, so here it is short and hopefully to the point. My phone got rained on a little bit. Now I keep getting a message "unable to connect to dock connector" and cannot play music out of my external speakers. It also tends to freeze up from time to time in addition to not always allowing me to sync it. When I took it down to the apple store they recognized the water sensor and I set up an appointment for them to take it apart and look at it. Now I do not know if I should go through with this appointment because I use my computer to connect to my iphone for internet tethering. I am not the most iphone illiterate, but what I do know is that I have the tethering software on my iphone. Is this something i should be concerned with when I bring my phone down to the store for my appointment tomorrow? What should I do?

Appreciate any help.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Either way you warranty is void by Water damage.
    What they will offer you is a replacement for $200.
    Is your phone jailbroken or you just installed a tethering hack on official software? It's not gonna make much difference anyway IMO.

3. Mattbull thread starter macrumors member

I don't have any jail breaking software on it, just the tether software. When I explained the incident to the apple people at the store they didn't necessarily say my contract would be voided, but they said they could take a look at it. If I do take it down to be looked at tomorrow and say they were to find the internet software on it, would they or could they confiscate my phone or disconnect my services?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most likelly not, I don't think they will bother looking that much into it.
    They will not void your contract, all they can do is void the warranty on it. And usually when the water sensors are tripped then they offer an out of warranty replacement for $200.
    If you get lucky and they offer to replace it for free then your good.
    Good luck with it, be extra nice to them and hope for the best.

5. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Just get the dock changed out by a local repairer. It is fairly cheap. I just did on on a 3GS which was damaged.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

its your connector on ur phone just get it changed out by a local repairer like he said

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you own that iPhone they dont. they cannot confiscate it and they cannot and will not cancel your service. they have nothing to do with AT&T and AT&T wants your $$. but as posted earlier it is a real easy fix. but also when you take your phone apart yourself and remove the logic board you had to remove the "do not remove" sticker so now you have no warranty for sure. $50-$60 will take care of your problem or you can go the $200 route for a refurbished one