Should I build a PC for games?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by JHNguyen, Feb 15, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

I already have an xbox 360 and I love it. Just looking for some more titles.

I only really play FPS games online. Never single player mode.. Does the PC have that much more titles than the xbox 360 or PS3? Would it be worth it to make the computer just for FPS games or are consoles enough?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If you only play First Person Shooters the question isn't should you build a PC, it is why do you even have a console?

There are many more FPSs on PC. Go build 1 now if that's your gaming choice.

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The games a 360 "tries" to play -- like FPSs -- games which developers have to gimp in order to accommodated a thumb-twiddling controller, were always better played on a PC and in all respect should only be developed for a system that has a dedicated pointing device.

With a PC, you get vastly better controls, better than HD graphics. -- whooooooo, this has been the case for years, free online play, and mods galore.

<]=)

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

PC FPS's destroy console versions. Okay they don't have Halo, big deal, Halo sucks ass compared to CoD4 (best on PC) HL2 (best on PC) hell even watered down FPS Bioshock (still a good game mind you) is better on PC. Control wise, graphic wise, mod wise, price wise (PC games are normally $10 less than console). Online is debatable, I prefer console match making to PC lobbies and such but some feel the reverse.

PCs now are getting the better or more 'hot' games from consoles, particularly the 360. Assassins Creed has extras on PC, Mass Effect has extras PLUS will run better and look better on PC, Gears of War had extras on PC and Halo 3 in the next year and a bit will probably get something too.

Plus a world of RTS games await on PC.... Sins of a Solar Empire mmmmm

But in the end, it's what you think you want. If you wanna spend more ($1200 will get you a nice rig) and wanna sit at a desk then PC is great, but sometimes sitting on the couch on a big ass tv is nice too... Just be like MRU and buy everything, sometimes twice ;) *coughtwoPS3scough*

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

6. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone..

The thing I don't like about PCs when I used to play was.. always having to upgrade.. whether it was the graphics card, processor, harddrive. I always found myself wanting to upgrade to play the newest games. I like the whole xbox live thing too. It's really great with the layout, match making, and how there's usually many people who talk on mics.

I don't mind the whole Mouse vs Gamepad thing. Also, I haven't played COD4 on PC, but I play it on xbox A LOT. I guess what I'm asking is, are there a lot of PC FPS games that will never come on xbox or PS3?

I really like having consoles for the simplicity of it.

7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I will admit, PC controls are far more appropriate for FPS, however I simply can't see the advantage in it. At least for students.

1. Having better than HD graphics requires a very expensive video card. A card that will probably need to be updated within 1 - 2 years, 3 if you're lucky. This is not a problem for consoles, which will play your games for 4 + years.
    2. Yes, paying for online play is a pain in the ass, but a lot of PC junkies fail to see the benefits and advantages of it. A good portion of this money is being used to run a high-quality service. And while 50 dollars a year is a bit hefty, how much does your PC's RAM, Graphics Card, ect cost you to update? Well into the hundreds.
    3. Consoles now have USB ports. Some games can already be played with a PC and Mouse (feel free to correct this statement though)

8. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

When it comes to FPS, the PC really is king. Not just b/c of the selection of games available, but mostly b/c of the mouse and keyboard. I just never was able to capture the finesse needed to aim with two joysticks on a controller. the mouse is just too perfect for me, i wouldnt switch just b/c of that.

That out of the way, look at the game selection. Ill use two examples, The orange box and call of duty 4. Im big on Team fortress 2, but on the xbox its been gutted. You dont get to see a big list of servers to join, its random each time you click search. and the servers are TINY. like 8 on 8 is pretty normal for the xbox, when i get to pick from a host of 16 v. 16 servers on my PC. Thats how i feel with COD4 too. the console just makes its very difficult to join a game you want.

My last contention will rest on hardware. Building a PC lets you pick out the hardware, which means you can look at games you know are going to want to play and view benchmarks to see what kind of FPS you will be getting. Im sure i dont have to go into how upgradeable having a PC would be over an Xbox 360.

9. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

for student what do you mean? i would argue that "PC controls are far more appropriate for FPS" b/c of the response time associated with a mouse in comparison to that of a controller. you can only move a joystick so fast, i always felt like you could flick a mouse much faster.

but i mostly feel like this differs for ppl depending on whether you used a mouse or a controller first

10. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

The mouse is great, I agree, but the keyboard sucks compared to a controller IMO. I will take a analog stick over WASD any day.