should i buy 13 MBP or the new MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jamalk, Oct 23, 2009.

  1. jamalk macrumors newbie


    Oct 23, 2009
    i want to buy a 13" 2,26 ghz MacBook Pro, but recently apple has updated their MacBook with the same proccessor speed but with a larger HD than the MacBook Pro and i think the MBP will be updated soon because of it. so i need to be sure, should i buy the 13" MBP later or buy the new Macbook now?
  2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 7, 2009
    Paris, France
    Depends of your needs. Ie Do you need FW? Tell us about them. But I have to say I really love this new MB :D
  3. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    Go to an apple store, lay hands on both models and decide what you want.

    I'd wait a couple of weeks on the new mb's to make sure no major problems are reported on them.

    Other than the hd size, firewire, sd card slot and plastic v. metal, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of difference between the MB and the base 13" mbp.
  4. greygray macrumors 68000


    Oct 22, 2009
    13" MBP for FW and aluminium chassis and SD slot. Macbook if you do not need them. See your needs.
  5. thecrispykid macrumors newbie

    Oct 6, 2009
    Isn't the maximum amount of ram in the new macbook only 4 gb while 8 gb in the macbook pro?
  6. droodles macrumors member

    Oct 18, 2009
    yes, but how many people would need that much RAM in their MBs? the product is primarily aimed towards students and the lower end users
  7. Jelite macrumors 6502a

    Feb 16, 2008
    Get the PRO then you can pretend to be some kind of elite user and look down upon all the macbook peasants.
  8. thecrispykid macrumors newbie

    Oct 6, 2009
    I was just thinling that the better ram upgradeability in the mbp could make it last a little longer making it more economical.
  9. Belm macrumors regular

    Jun 20, 2009
    Why not get a refurb MBP for the same price as the MB?
  10. Squonk macrumors 65816


    Mar 15, 2005
    These two comments sum up my feelings as well. Although I really like the new MB, I have my sights on the MBP 13". 160GB vs 250GB is not a make it/break thing for me.

    To the OP - if you can wait 6-8 weeks, by then there will be refurbs of the new MB available to save you a little more moolala. I mention this because you said you might wait out an MBP update.
  11. jamalk thread starter macrumors newbie


    Oct 23, 2009
    i'm a student on indonesia, i'm kinda programmer (c,delphi, visual programming, but i want to study xcode too)..i like photography as well as gaming. so what would you recommend?
  12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

    Sep 30, 2003
    The MBP has a far nicer display panel from what I read in one of the reviews (engadget or gizmodo)
  13. hodgeheg macrumors regular

    Dec 7, 2008
    Check them out in person if possible. The other difference noone has mentioned yet is the screen. Edit, someone mentioned it while I was typing this(!) however it's not as clear-cut...

    The MBP screen has a higher colour gamut, but unless you're using photoshop you may not care.

    On the other hand the MB screen doesn't (I think, judging from photos, I've not seen one in person since the new model launched) have a shiny sheet of ultra-reflective glass in front of it. Some people love the glass. Others like me would rather use just about anything else.

    Assuming I'm right and the screen is just plastic glossy like the previous model, I personally would find the MacBook screen far nicer, even if it isn't actually as good a panel underneath (which it isn't).

    I'm not for a moment telling you which you should prefer - but it is something to consider, and hopefully test out in person if you're near a store.
  14. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

    Aug 18, 2009
    the mbp - looks nicer and is slightly better however more expensive
    the macbook - lose SD slot (does that really matter a sd to usb is like £4) and is much cheaper and you can upgrade the HDD manually (saving money)[​IMG] i would go with the macbook to be quite honest
  15. chris7777 macrumors 6502

    Nov 27, 2008
    Engadget just brutalized the new macbook

    The sad thing is everything they said is 100% valid.

    if it were $200 CHEAPER it might be an option, but like they said, what you gain in the pro is totally worth the extra 200, or a refurb for the same price.

    the only thing is the hard drive, but really is a few extra gigs really that big a deal?

    I am thinking of waiting, and seeing if they bump the pro hd to the same size.

    Who knows maybe Steve will see the reviews, and drop the price in 2 mos and tick everyone off.

    I say save or go refurb pro, or for that matter, refurb old ub mb, for 100 less.
  16. jamalk thread starter macrumors newbie


    Oct 23, 2009
    ok, so i'll check the apple store(not apple store actually, apple reseller:D) after the new macbook arrived here, and i'll compare it
  17. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

    Dec 10, 2004
    buy the MBP refurb for $999 from Apple. Much better deal than the Macbook for $999.

Share This Page