Should I buy 13" MBP with Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ssray23, Mar 20, 2014.

1. ssray23 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have been eyeing this laptop for some time but not sure if I should wait for couple of months for Apple's announcements on this line?

Thanks in advance,
    S Ray

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you need one now, then take the plunge. no one really knows when apple will release an update, but given the delays to Broadwell, I suspect it will be much later this year

3. ssray23 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Macalway macrumors 68000

Also depends on where you buy it. Middle of a cycle purchases can save you up to 30% on Ebay and with refurbs.

it takes quite a while for these to discount (or most Apple products)

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I can only speak from experience...I was dubious about real estate on the 13" screen but I was blown away. As Maflynn points out, delays to Intel's production of the new Broadwell chip are well documented, so I'd say go ahead. I Use my maxed out 13" for just about everything, and it's more capable than I thought...It will happily run Doom, Quake ( I know I'm an old guy) in full settings without missing a beat, and I have the stock 8GB RAM.

Only thing I would suggest is that you think carefully about RAM intensive Apps prior to purchase as this is a non user upgrade. I went for the 500GB SSD and the 3GHZ CPU.

Wouldn't be without it...I just sold my iPad and although I want a new one, I find this just as nice to use...It's not heavy on my lap ( I had a 17" cMBP before) and i can comfortably use it for hours on my laptop tray.