Should I buy 13" MBP with Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ssray23, Mar 20, 2014.

  1. ssray23 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    #1
    Hi,

    I have been eyeing this laptop for some time but not sure if I should wait for couple of months for Apple's announcements on this line?

    Thanks in advance,
    S Ray
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    If you need one now, then take the plunge. no one really knows when apple will release an update, but given the delays to Broadwell, I suspect it will be much later this year
     
  3. ssray23 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
  4. Macalway macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2013
    #4
    Also depends on where you buy it. Middle of a cycle purchases can save you up to 30% on Ebay and with refurbs.

    it takes quite a while for these to discount (or most Apple products)
     
  5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

    Macman45

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    #5
    I can only speak from experience...I was dubious about real estate on the 13" screen but I was blown away. As Maflynn points out, delays to Intel's production of the new Broadwell chip are well documented, so I'd say go ahead. I Use my maxed out 13" for just about everything, and it's more capable than I thought...It will happily run Doom, Quake ( I know I'm an old guy) in full settings without missing a beat, and I have the stock 8GB RAM.

    Only thing I would suggest is that you think carefully about RAM intensive Apps prior to purchase as this is a non user upgrade. I went for the 500GB SSD and the 3GHZ CPU.

    Wouldn't be without it...I just sold my iPad and although I want a new one, I find this just as nice to use...It's not heavy on my lap ( I had a 17" cMBP before) and i can comfortably use it for hours on my laptop tray.
     

Share This Page