iPad mini Should I buy 1st Gen iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cammyg123, Nov 25, 2013.

1. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

So I'm going to be buying an iPad mini soon, as I have never owned one and would like to see the experience.

Now, I have an iPad 4 and iPad Air, and this device won't be used too much, just for when I'm out somewhere (not very often) and want to be able to whip out a small iPad rather than lugging around a bigger one.

Now, Wal-Mart is having a Black Friday deal on the original iPad mini, where buying it for 299 will get you a 100 dollar Wal-Mart gift card.

So do you think I should buy it then and save myself some money or just get the rMini, and remember that it won't be used a lot so retina or not won't make a difference to me. :)

2. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

You answered your own question...in the form of a question... :p

My question to you is, can you afford $399 plus tax for a 16g rMini? If not, then just get what you can afford.

3. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Upgraded from mini to rMini . Gave my wife the mini even after she told me twice she didn't want it and was happy with her full size. I said just take it and try it. If you don't like it I will take it back. She loves the mini. i can do no wrong.

4. cammyg123 thread starter macrumors regular

cammyg123

No I cannot. I've gotta spend the rest of my funds on things for the rest of the family! But I can afford the mini.

----------

Thanks! I just didn't know if the 100$ difference was really worth having a worse screen.

5. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

You say you can't afford the extra $100, so that's the end of the rMini right there.

As far as the next question of if the $100 is worth having a better screen, as I think you meant to put, that's up to you, but it seems like you're living awfully close to the edge if $100 more makes the product unaffordable. May be better off waiting a bit until you're able to afford the current model, and not have to sacrifice because of financial hardship.

6. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

You could always buy one from the Apple refurb store for $249 and not have to go to walmart and hope to beat the insane crowds to get one there. Sure it nets you $50 less, but you don't have to go to walmart on Black Friday. Seems like a win to me.

7. rrm74001, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

So have have:

• iPad Air Space Gray (128 GB) ($800)
    • 2013 27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 ($2000)
    • 2013 MacBook Pro with retina 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor ($2600)

But a $200 difference between the first generation and second generation Mini will make you broke?

8. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I just recently upgraded from the mini to the retina mini, and am happy with my choice. I use the mini for reading pdfs a lot, and the retina screen makes a big difference.

That said, if I were in your shoes, getting a secondary device for occassional use, I might go for the original mini, especially if I could take advantage of that Walmart giftcard deal. The original mini is a fine device; it was quick enough for whatever I wanted to do, and the screen was only disappointing in comparison with the retina, which is extraordinary.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I only used the original with ios 6. Some people say it upgrades fine to ios 7, others that it's a bit less responsive.

P.S.

If you can, I recommend going some place where you can look at both of them, maybe watch a movie on both, or some other activity you plan to use the mini for.

9. cammyg123 thread starter macrumors regular

cammyg123

Not at all. I never said it would make me broke? Did I? I just said I can't because I have a life beyond Apple products and I have to supply things for other people.

And I'd rather save the money and just sacrifice the retina.

And on those products, O sold just about everyone of my prev. Gen products to get all those, and I still have never bought an iPhone because I don't wanna pay monthly. I'd rather save my self money when I can, even though it won't kill me not to get retina

And it take lots of saving for those products. And iPad Air was a gift!

See what I mean? People wonder why they're broke all the team, well it's because they think since they have the money it means they have to buy it.

----------

My cousin has a first gen iPad mini and I'm going to ask her if I could test it out a bit, and see if it really makes a difference without retina display.

I'll probably hit the Apple store for the retina mini.

But thanks a lot for the help! I really appreciate it ;)

10. rustyb99 macrumors member

I just bought the original mini. I love it. And I don't miss the retina screen. It is perfect for what I use it for.

11. cammyg123 thread starter macrumors regular

cammyg123

Thanks :) the I don't miss the retina screen sold it. Looks like I'll take your advice and settle for the original! :D

12. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

I have both and don't see a big difference in the screen quality of the retina Mini -- especially for the occasional use you need it for. My teenage son says I'm crazy and there is a huge difference. Sure if I hold it real close and look at the text, it is more jagged on the original iPad. But the original iPad still looks very good to me.

The Walmart deal is a great one... can't beat $199 for the "extra" iPad you want.

13. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Buying an original iPad Mini is false economy. The new iPad Mini specs will last for years. On the other hand, I wanted to trade out of my original iPad Mini as soon as I got it.

If you have to save money, then wait to buy used or get a refurb, but don't throw your money away.

14. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Depending on what you use it for, the original will last for years.

15. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

The retina mini will out last the original still.

16. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Outlast it how? Is the hardware in the original gonna die? If it works fine for you now, and your usage needs don't change, then it will last just as long as the retina.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

True IF you never update any apps or the OS.

However it seems most folks like to avail themselves of app and iOS updates and enhancements, in which case the hardware does become a factor.

18. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

How would it not outlast on the same tasks?

19. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

What are you going to be using it for?
    I sold my iPad-4 in preparation for the Air and while I was waiting for it I borrowed an iPad-1 from work.
    I use it for mostly videos and I was shocked to discover that the lower-quality screen really didn't matter.
    For reading and text-heavy web browsing them maybe you'll notice the lack of retina but for everything else I think the 1st gen will do you fine.
    That said......
    If you've already got a 4 and an Air do you really need to blow more money on a Mini?
    ;)

20. Jelako72 macrumors newbie

FWIW - longevity speaking, the iPad mini has an A5 processor and the rMini has the A7.

Last night my mom wanted to just see how Air Drop works. My mom has an original mini and my wife an iPad 2. Even though the iPad 2 has iOS 7.04 installed, it does not have Air Drop.

Fast forward 2-3 years from now. The A5 chip will be "old" hardware and there will be new features offered.

Another point of reference, in the last year every person at work, in my social circle, and my family that is exposed to the mini actually prefers the mini over the full iPad. My mom has since given her iPad to my dad and hasn't touched it. My boss at work lets his iPad3 sit collecting dust where he uses mini daily. I have a handful of friends that their iPad never leaves the home and barely gets used but their mini is a staple at Tailgates, get-togethers, etc.

Though to get a 16 gb mini for $299 with a $100 gift card from Walmart Thanksgiving night is definitely a considering factor...in fact my wife and I are discussing purchasing one now.

21. cammyg123 thread starter macrumors regular

cammyg123

I have a buyer for the 4 :D

22. cammyg123 thread starter macrumors regular

cammyg123

Same here! I think the original with the deal will be just fine.

23. atomic50, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

atomic50 macrumors member

I personally got myself a Retina Mini, but for the young'ns, two Gen 1 Minis should suffice given they are the same price as mine for BOTH ($100 best buy gift card on each). Even though it doesn't have the latest and greatest, I think longevity should still be pretty good given the iPad 2 A5 (school wide-deployment favorite) and 4S is still chugging along (2 years at the very least).