Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
hey i wanna order MBA because Haswell has made an huge gap in term of battery life
but rumors about 2014 might announce Retina display and new design (12'')
maybe extending RAM capacity?
what do you think ?
thanks

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If we had a dime every time people ask this question.

We don't know!

How important is retina to you?
8 GB of today not enough for what you need?
Do YOU find 11.3 too small and 13 too big hence the search for the perfect size?

Next year you will be asking what's new for 2015.

What do YOU want?

General consensus: if you need one now, OK to BUY, we give you permission. You don't need one now answer the same question you posed to yourself.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
There is always something new coming.. you can wait forever if you go that route.

The Haswell MBA is a fine system...However I like the rMBP for a better screen. Maybe Apple will do a different screen on the MBA next year, maybe not.

I love the MBA for portability, but the 13" rMBP is only a little heavier.

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Going for a poo Moderator

We don't know!

Do YOU find 11.3 too small and 13 too big hence the search for the perfect size?

What do YOU want?

General consensus: if you need one now, OK to BUY, we give you permission. You don't need one now answer the same question you posed to yourself.

this guy seems mad

in my opinion its still a long time till summer 2014, buy one now and resell it for almost as much as you bought it as a less than 1 year old machine

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013

We don't know!

What do YOU want?

I like you opinion hehehe, it's like kill money people to ask again :p

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
you don't really get my point
im not saying i might wait every year for superior model
e.g 2011-2012 gap wasn't so huge
Haswell 2013 it is one huge step forward in term of battery life
if rumors were true (reliable?)
2014 would be one step forward
there are people who are concerned about spec's hardware, i don't
retina display and new form factor (12'') do matter to me and i believe many people are concerned as well

iPaintCode

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Metro Detroit
I could be wrong but I don't see Apple putting in some sort of Retina screen in the Air until Intel gets iGPU performance (5200 Iris Pro) or slightly more into the ULV chips. Perhaps the IGZO Retina would give similar battery life but would still be rocking the HD 5000. Also if they kept the same resolution number scheme the Air displays, this would be the results:

11: 2732x1535 (270PPI), the highest Apple notebook PPI to date.
13: 2880x1800 (256PPI), same overall pixel count as 15 but in a smaller footprint making for much higher PPI.

At that point given how impressive MacBook Airs are in performance vs Pro's, who would ever buy a 13" rMBP. Sort of a dilemma for Apple IMHO. Perhaps they will Mac a 12" and redesign all the Pro's to taper but so hard to figure out what Tim Cook will do next.

Far as waiting, if you wait till 2014 then you will be asking yourself what about 2015... I'd say buy now and start saving up for 2015. As I don't see Broadwell making their way into the notebook line till late 2014 or early 2015.

twingo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2009
Forget about the Air. Get a 13 Macbook Pro retina now.
You get good battery live and screen.
No need to wait.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

Don't know that I agree with you there - I used to have a 2011 MBA. In 2012 they upgraded to USB 3.0, a big step up IMO. Also, you couldn't get 8gb of RAM in 2011, the max was 4gb. This was a big upgrade for people who wanted to run more powerful software. And you couldn't get a 512gb SSD in 2011 either. I believe they did something to make the SD card slot fast in 2012 as well.

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
you don't really get my point
im not saying i might wait every year for superior model
Haswell 2013 it is one huge step forward in term of battery life
if rumors were true (reliable?)
2014 would be one step forward
there are people who are concerned about spec's hardware, i don't
retina display and new form factor (12'') do matter to me and i believe many people are concerned as well

I have 2013 MBA 13"... and it's true, a long day in office, i dont need charger :p
from 7.00 morning until 5 PM is fine and perfect works.

for another spec in future, yeah maybe i need to upgrade my MBA if this spec come true. but, i'm working and life for today, so why waiting for a long time?

dont worry about future, everytime tech is change...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.