Should I buy 6/6 Plus now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HellBlaze, Jun 18, 2015.

  1. HellBlaze macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2015
    #1
    Would you? I mean, with inevitable refresh later this year and all. I'm on 5S atm, so what'd you do?
     
  2. LucasEVille macrumors regular

    LucasEVille

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2015
    Location:
    Nottingham & London, UK
    #2
    Wait, you'll regret it in Sept in my opinion.
     
  3. terrance.e.green macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2015
    #3
    September is right around the corner. Just wait
     
  4. LucasEVille macrumors regular

    LucasEVille

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2015
    Location:
    Nottingham & London, UK
    #4
    For what its worth, I'm in the same boat.... Well a slowly sinking boat as my Xperia is falling to pieces :D
     
  5. gregrose macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    #5
    Just got the iPhone 6 with Verizon's $200 discount going on right now. $100 for a $300 phone, I'll take that any day, phone runs very well coming from a 5
     
  6. Gryfter macrumors 6502

    Gryfter

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2011
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #6
    as many will tell you, get it now if you cant wait and sell it towards the end of August/early September...
     
  7. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

    Andres Cantu

    Joined:
    May 31, 2015
    Location:
    Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
    #7
    I would recommend waiting just three more months. After all, the bigger screen is pretty much the only difference between those phones.
     
  8. C DM macrumors Westmere

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2011
    #8
    Seems like thread after thread about the same thing.
     
  9. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

    GrumpyMom

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2014
    Location:
    Rinoriducruin
    #9
    If the new phones have the 2 gigs of RAM it's worth waiting for. For quite awhile now I've been running into issues on my iPad mini retina and my iPhone 6 Plus when trying to keep more than one web page open. More RAM may or may not help but it sure as heck won't hurt. The 5s still compares well enough to the 6 and 6 Plus that waiting an extra summer isn't such a bad idea. You can either pick up deals on the current 6's or get a 6/6Plus that is everything the model should have been (IMO).
     
  10. nburwell macrumors 68040

    nburwell

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    PHL
    #10
    That is why I went back to my 5s. The bigger screen wasn't enough for me in terms of the 6. Plus, I don't use Apple Pay at all.

    To the OP, I would wait if you can.
     
  11. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

    XTheLancerX

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2014
    Location:
    NY, USA
    #11
    Wait. Upgrading from a 5S to a 6 is hardly anything besides screen size. Upgrading from a 5S to a 6S will be quite a lot better, and you haven't got all the long to wait for it either.
     
  12. techspin macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    #12
    It's not a $300 phone though...
     
  13. madsci954 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Location:
    Ohio
    #13
    Unless your 5S is on the verge of failing, wait until September.
     
  14. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2014
    #14
    It is if you get the 64GB.
     
  15. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

    XTheLancerX

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2014
    Location:
    NY, USA
    #15
    Technically it is a $750 phone. You are just getting a subsidized price from your carrier for agreeing to stay with them for the next 2 years.

    Pretty much, you get a cheap phone but you get trapped for two years and essentially end up bending over in front of your carrier, or you end up spending an ass-load of money upfront but you get to do whatever you like. Paying full price for the phone is typically cheaper by a couple hundred dollars or so in the long term due to extra fees usually associated with being on contract.
     
  16. Sumter macrumors regular

    Sumter

    Joined:
    May 21, 2014
    #16
    This is why I buy my phones outright. I'm on Verizon with two lines, the 25$ discount for each line is very nice.
     
  17. C DM macrumors Westmere

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2011
    #17
    Depends on your plan and what you pay for the phone upfront. If you can get it for free or cheap, it might be worth it. And if you leave you pay the ETF which put together with what you paid upfront can still be potentially cheaper than the full price of the phone. Essentially it's not always a bad option depending on one's situation.
     
  18. C DM macrumors Westmere

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2011
    #18
    Yeah on the current plans it certainly helps. Using Edge does the job fairly well too.
     
  19. newellj macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2014
    Location:
    Boston, MA, US
    #19
    It's basically that simple. The next update may or may not be a big deal, but you win either way: get the next phone when it is introduced or get better pricing on the 6/6+ after the 6S/6S+ are introduced.
     
  20. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #20
    Personally, I want to give up my iPhone 6+ and get its smaller brother. While I want to rectify this situation now, I know its better if I wait and that's what I'll be doing.

    I may sell my current phone shortly (using an older windows phone temporarily) and then wait for the September media event.
     
  21. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

    AFEPPL

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2014
    Location:
    England
    #21
    Vodafone rang up offering a free upgrade to the 6 this week,
     
  22. henry72 macrumors 65816

    henry72

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #22
    No definitely wait especially you have a 5s!
     
  23. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

    XTheLancerX

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2014
    Location:
    NY, USA
    #23
    Yeah, I think it only makes sense to have contracts if you have less than 4 lines on the account? 4 or more though, I think it is cheaper in the long run. Could be the other way around. And that is why I added an italicized "typically" before I said it was cheaper.
     
  24. valexer macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2015
    #24
    If you're in need of a phone with a bigger screen at this very moment then get one. But if that desire can wait then you wait until the third quarter because I'm pretty sure the next iPhone is coming. I usually do not buy phones generation to the next because I feel that the upgrade ain't that dramatic so I skip a generation. However the iPhone 5s to 6/6+ was really dramatic so I immediately got one once it was released. I think this time an upgrade to 6/6+ is a bit late so if I were you I'd rather wait. :)
     
  25. Matheew944 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2015
    #25
    buy it what u want,whenever u want, this year, the design wont change.. so whatever, buy a 6 or 6 plus if u want
     

Share This Page