Should I buy a 13" MBP now or wait a year?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AreYouIn?, May 13, 2010.

1. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I've had a white macbook since fall of 2007. It is still great but I've got an itch for a new MBP. So mine right now is running tiger, has 1gb ram, 160gb hard drive, and 2.0ghz processor. As long as I have a good internet connection it runs super fast. But if airport is going in and out all of my applications lag, not just web browsers.

If it was only me using my computer I could get by just fine with it for another couple of years probably. But it just so happens to be the only computer in my house newer than 1994 (and the only one that will go online), other than an Acer laptop which takes 20min to startup and gets viruses super easy. So my parents use my laptop as well. Which gets annoying. My mother will be going back to school in the fall and needs a computer.

So really my question is: Is the current version of the 13"MBP worth buying, or should I wait until next year?

Fall I will be starting my senior year of college and then I am off to graduate school (for psychology so lots of papers) the next year. Also should I buy iWork or use microsoft office? Which my friend has a copy of.

Yea I know lots of rambling but I am torn about waiting or buying now. I have student loan money just sitting in my bank account begging me to spend it on a MBP. :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For the average user the current 13" MBP is more than enough. Papers, music, movies, internet... all of that you can probably do on your current whitebook. I don't think waiting a year would add significantly to the value you get out of your machine in terms of usability.

As for iWork vs. Office there are a lot of threads. If you're at all worried about compatibility, get Office.

3. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Sounds like a computer crises in the home to tell you the truth. Get a new macbook and enjoy. Dump the old on Mom.

Using your friends copy is theft, lots of regular people work very hard to write that software for salaries to pay for their kids to go to college. So pony up the $125 for your software licenses please. OR, use an open source tool like OpenOffice.

4. AreYouIn? thread starter macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

My friend did pay for it. I think it is one of those ones you can install on a certain number of computers they only have 2 in their house. I don't know at least that's what she said. If not I will be getting $41 iwork.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, Office boxes come with three license codes so you can install it on three machines.

6. txnoob macrumors 6502

I would, in the interim, upgrade the memory in your current MB, and upgrade to at least Leopard (I notice a performance increase with SL). I think you'll find some new life in your existing machine, it should even last you until you finish college if you just need for papers and internet. Then, search craigslist for a cheap Windows XP Machine. I see complete systems all the time for $100 or less. Put AVG antivirus on it, and reclaim your MB. With your current machine I see no hurry in buying another one if you don't need it.

Now, if money is no object, and you just have an itch, the 13" MBP is a fantastic machine. You'll experience a better screen, faster processor, longer battery life, among a few advantages. You have to decide of those are worth $1100+ at this point in time.

7. DavidR91 macrumors member

You can get 5 pack licences as well as volume licences and (previously) Desktop/Laptop licences

Office is zilch to do with the topic anyhow

8. AreYouIn? thread starter macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Another question: I know WWDC is coming up in June. I don't expect there to be an update to the macbook pros since they just were, but what about software? A new iwork version maybe? Probably not a new OS. I would hate to buy iWork now and a new version come out later this year.

If I do purchase a new computer now would it be worth waiting until after WWDC? Any rumors?

9. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

It's only a month, so unless it is essential, you may as well wait to see what happens. Also, Office 2011 for Mac is likely to come out towards the end of the year so you may want to wait for that?

10. AreYouIn? thread starter macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I could care less about what version of office I have. All of the computers at the college I go to are running xp with office 2003.

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

No new MBPs in a month, not going to happen, just updated.

Sounds like your current MB just needs another couple gigs of ram and a larger 7200 RPM drive.

Would give it a huge speed boost.

12. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Macbooks have a really good resale value. If you can get a good price, now is a good time to upgrade. If you can't, then just use it up. It should definitely last another year, and you should still be able to do fairly well on sale.