Should I buy a 13" rmbp with so many problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tanmayg, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Tanmayg macrumors newbie

I have always been a windows user, but this time I made up my mind for my first macbook to check out the wonderful experience people say it is!

I was just going to order a 13" rmbp with 2.6 i5, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd (constrained by budget, being a power user wanted a quad core)yesterday and my friends told me about all the problems people are facing with the macbooks.

Also after stalking this forum, i got to know there is a big IR problem with many macs, then there are many whose 13" UI lag at scaled resolutions, then there is a freezing problem.

After all this I am again confused if I should get a similarly priced windows laptop with better specs. But i really wanted to get a mac!:apple:
    If I am going to pay $1750 for a laptop, i deserve something with no or at least lesser issues. :(

What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance !

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Don't forget that the people who complain are the ones with problems. Very few people open a thread that says "My MBP runs great."

Image Retention and other issues are not that common. Don't forget that Apple sells millions of MBPs, and if even 1% have an issue that's still quite a few.

Every computer made by every mfgr still has some problems of one kind or another.

I just bought a 13" MBA (before the rMBP upgrade to Haswell was announced), but I would have no problem buying an rMBP now, but I went for the MBA since it was enough for me. The MBAs are quoted as having issues as well, but I have experienced none.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So far it doesn't look like the new models have IR or lag issues. Honestly the freezing is a minor annoyance as long as you save often or have an autosave feature. It seems to be more of a Mavericks software issue than hardware as older upgraded models are being affected as well.

If you're that worried about it I'd wait a few weeks. No computer or OS is perfect when it's brand new. If it's Mavericks there will hopefully be a patch coming. If it's hardware, Apple warranty and recall repair is second to none if the issue is well-known and documented*

*I say this with a grain of salt because I had issues that developed later on with my old MBP that have not really become well-known and were not fixed.

4. Tanmayg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Point well taken!
    I was just worried that many people have been facing IR problems with an LG screen and there are some rumors that 13" one has displays made by LG only.

5. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

I completely agree with this. If the question from my post down below(from another thread) were answered we would have WAY less confusion and more clarity. However, nobody has been able to provide video proof of the new models having IR/Burn in.:(

""""It's hard to know if there is truly a problem with the new 13" having IR/burn in. I've been researching/posting extensively since launch and nobody has posted video proof. Do a quick you youtube search within the last week. There's nothing.

I've been pointed to the apple discussion threads where people have posted maybe 1 or 2 pictures, but they appear to be talking about the early 13" rmbp's. If they are new, pics cannot justify enough proof without seeing that it is a new macbook pro.

It's really getting annoying to be honest, just give me some solid proof that the new computers will definitely give me IR related problems! Please.""""""

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don't think the Haswell rMBPs have been available long enough to show IR..

7. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'd say just give it a month or so; Apple will sort the freezing with an update, and then they'll be fine. The Haswell MBA I have did it too, and all I did was wait until the update came out, then bought. It's been solid as a rock.

8. Tanmayg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all. I will stop worrying and wait for a patch for the problems. Hopefully Apple will fix the freezing problem as it is a widespread issue.

9. yliu macrumors regular

So are you buying the Ivy Bridge or Haswell version? It is known that the HD4000 in the Ivy Bridge is struggling to drive the retina display. The new Haswell macbook will probably do better with the Iris graphics.
    I have not heard much image retention problems with the 13 rMBP. It was mainly present in the 15 inch models.

10. Tanmayg thread starter macrumors newbie

Haswell version. But i have seen in some posts that even people with haswell are having lag issues at scaled resolutions. I will again go to a store to try it out properly.

11. robvas macrumors 68020

12. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Got my 13" rMBP today and it's perfect, no issues at all.

13. Laco macrumors 6502

I would try one at the Apple store. If you are satisfied with the experience I would buy it. If the one you purchase does not perform as well as the store model I would ask for a fix/exchange or I would return.

14. majkom macrumors 65816

freezing, touchpad problems are probably sw issues... /will be solved easily with update) IR and lags on upscaled resolution are probably hw problems.. (IR is still there, and lags, sorry but whoever says that retina mb pro 13 does not lag is either blind or is not telling the truth)

15. MN7119 macrumors regular

Get AppleCare and be happy!!!! I would challenge anyone that had never have a problem with a Dell, Lenovo, Sony, etc... computer. As someone said here, only people with problems complain. I ordered mine and cannot wait to start using it.

16. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

So basically if I keep my resolution at 1024 x 640 (what I currently have my cMBP set to), the lag will be more noticeable than if I were to leave it at "Best for built-in display"?

or is there Lag across all resolutions? (including native)