Should I buy a 15in MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jun 4, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68030

May 25, 2010
    So I'm seriously considering buying a new lower end 15 inch MBP when the back to school comes back but I have a couple questions.

I'm thinking if I wait until the end of the event (before it goes away) that Lion should be installed on it if it's coming out this I'd save money there.

But I've read there have been a lot of problems with the 15 inch so I was thinking should I try and squeeze another year out of my PC when the supposed new design comes out in February?

Because I would hate to buy one that has problems and will look outdated in a year.
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Any computer will look outdated in a year.
  3. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Jan 13, 2011
    If you read that then you shouldn't buy one.
  4. snapper64 macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2007
    What problems? You're more likely to have problems with a new design than the current model. Remember, this is the 3rd iteration of the unibody design. Apple has had plenty of time to iron out the majority of the issues.
  5. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    You should know before the promotion ends when you'll get Lion included in some form with your new computer.

As for issues, remember those with problems are the loudest on the net. As they tend to fill out more surveys and such.

And as for looking outdated? It will only look outdated if Apple comes up with a new case design. And even then it probably won't look outdated. Also, there's no guarantee that Apple will release a new model at any given time, just guesses based on processor roadmaps and previous release intervals for the product. (Usually pretty good guesses, but still only guesses.)

I'll give you a hint, if you're worried about a computer being outdated a year after you buy it, you'll never buy a new computer.

At least with the promotion you'll probably get an iPod for free.
  6. oLNutjob macrumors member

Mar 30, 2011
    The 2011 quad is probably the biggest speed bump in recent history. The last time it was this good was the intro of the G3. (My first portable was a 520c, and I've had my hands on almost everything portable between then and now.)